Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Sydney Gilbert Frogley, DSO, DFC

RFT

Ref : Capt Sydney Gilbert Frogley, DSO, DFC

Capt Frogley served with No 47 Squadron, South Russia (1919) having previously served with No 17 Squadron.

I understand he took command of 47 Squadron's "C" Flight on 21 July 1919 and remained with it until 19 November 1919, at which time he embarked South Russia for leave in the UK.

Can anyone throw any light on Capt Frogley's career post 1919.

Thanks in anticipation.

He doesn't seem to have had much of a service career by the looks of things

The Times Saturday, Aug 21, 1920; pg. 14; Issue 42495; col E

post-16016-1220230176.jpg

The Times Friday, Jul 08, 1921; pg. 19; Issue 42767; col C

post-16016-1220230285.jpg

The Times, Monday, Dec 22, 1930; pg. 1; Issue 45702; col A

post-16016-1220230354.jpg

While the middle initial is incorrect in this entry - the marriage register confirms it is Sydney G

The Times Friday, May 22, 1959; pg. 1; Issue 54467; col A

post-16016-1220230491.jpg

Do you have the citations for his DSO and DFC?

Hope this helps a little

Sue

Hello Sue

Thank you for 'The Times' entries for Capt Frogley. That for the 8th July 1921 is interesting as it makes reference to ill-health caused by wounds (June 24th 1920).

I don't believe Capt Frogley returned to South Russia after his 2 months leave (which would have expired late January 1920) but this will need closer scrutiny. As 2/Lieut he served with The Royal Berkshire Regiment and entered theatre of war 2nd October 1915 earning 1914-15 Star.

I can find no trace of him being wounded in France and perhaps it was reasonable to assume he was injured in South Russia while serving with 47 Squadron, albeit I can find no evidence at this time.

He was also the recipient of the Russian 'Order of St Stanislaus (2nd class with Swords)' and 'The Cross of St George (4th Class).

I do not have the citations for his DSO and DFC. Are you able to help?

Thank you very much for your interest.

Best regards

Rob

Hi Rob - these are the citations as per

The Times, Saturday, Apr 03, 1920; pg. 2; Issue 42375; col A

Air Force Honours. British Gallantry In Russia., Bombing Bolshevist Warships.

post-16016-1220338080.jpg

post-16016-1220338088.jpg

post-16016-1220338100.jpg

also a couple of LG entries showing progression in RFC

Gazette Issue 30071 published on the 15 May 1917. Page 2 of 14

ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

Mil. Wing.—The undermentioned appts. are

made: —

Flying Officers (Observers).—

Lt. S. G. Frogley, R. Berks. R., Spec.

Res. 27th Apr. 1917, with seniority from

31st Oct. 1916.

Gazette Issue 30418 published on the 7 December 1917. Page 2 of 16

ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

Mil. Wing.—The undermentioned appts. are

made: —

Flying Officers.—

9th Nov. 1917..

Lt. S. G. Frogley, R. Berks. R., Spec.

Res., from a Flying Officer (Observer), with

seniority from 31st Oct. 1916, and to be

secd.

Good Luck in your quest for more information

Cheers

Sue

Hi Sue

Thank you very much for your input. All very much appreciated.

If you come across anything else I would welcome hearing from you.

Regards

Rob

• 3 months later...

You were looking for information on one of my distant couins?

Sydney Gilbert FROGLEY was the youngest child of George FROGLEY (1851 - 1914) & Catherine Mary nee DOWNES (c1845 - 1925), and born at Wantage, Berkshire, Apr. 15th. 1889. At Wantage he was baptised at St. Peter & St. Paul's (Anglican) Church, May 19th. 1889 (Oxford Family Soc. microfiche: Wantage Parish). According to the British Probate précis, Sydney died at Spring Farm, Tramore, Co. Waterford, Ireland, May 20th. 1959.

At the time Sydney was born the family were living at Caldicot, Wantage, after moving from Belmont, Wantage (near the Cottage Hospital). In 1901 the family were shown on the census as living at Springwell House, Manor Farm, Wantage. Sometime after his father George FROGLEY became the owner of White's Farm at Letcombe Basset, Berkshire. The majority of the family are buried in the churchyard at Letcombe Basset.

Hello Australia and Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you very much indeed for the above information.

Perhaps you will know that he retired from the RAF in 1921 but served again in 1940 with RAFVR.

Any other info you may come across on him would be very much appreciated.

With the Compliments of the Season.

Rob

• 7 months later...

Dear Rob

I read with interest the postings on Captain S G Frogley. I research into local men from the Wantage area who served in WW1 and looking through my files I came across a newspaper cutting from the North Berks Herald 17/01/1920 which I can send to you (It is too large to attach to a post). If you have come across any additional information on him especially a photo please let me know.

Many thanks

Trevor

Hi Trevor

Thank you very much indeed for your response.

All I have on Capt S G Frogley is that listed under this topic, plus the following.

2/Lt with Royal Berkshire Regiment receiving 1914-15 Star for France (2/10/1915). Transferred to the RFC as Captain.

Served with 63 (Bomber) Squadron in Mesopotamia.

He commanded 47 Squadron's "C" Flight in South Russia until November 1919, and was placed on the retired list 24 June 1920 on account of ill-health caused by wounds in South Russia. He regularly flew a DH9 2 seater bomber, F1202, in South Russia, and a photo of this particular aircaraft may be found in Air Command by Raymond Collishaw.

He re-emerged in WW2 in the RAFVR, as pilot officer, and was granted war substantive rank of Flying Officer (1/2/40).

Capt Frogley was awarded the DSO and DFC for war service in South Russia (1/4/1920), the Russian "Order of St Stanislaus, 2nd Class with Swords" and the Russian, "St George Cross, 4th Class."

He was mentioned by H A Jones MC, in his book "Over the Balkans and South Russia - History of 47 Squadron" and he also appears by name in one or two other books concerning the Allied Intervention in the Russian Civil War.

I would certainly welcome the newspaper article to which you refer. Can it be sent by email, if so i will PM you with my email address.

Thanks for your interest.

Best regards

Rob

• 8 years later...
On 12/22/2008 at 01:43, Australia said:

You were looking for information on one of my distant couins?

Sydney Gilbert FROGLEY was the youngest child of George FROGLEY (1851 - 1914) & Catherine Mary nee DOWNES (c1845 - 1925), and born at Wantage, Berkshire, Apr. 15th. 1889. At Wantage he was baptised at St. Peter & St. Paul's (Anglican) Church, May 19th. 1889 (Oxford Family Soc. microfiche: Wantage Parish). According to the British Probate précis, Sydney died at Spring Farm, Tramore, Co. Waterford, Ireland, May 20th. 1959.

At the time Sydney was born the family were living at Caldicot, Wantage, after moving from Belmont, Wantage (near the Cottage Hospital). In 1901 the family were shown on the census as living at Springwell House, Manor Farm, Wantage. Sometime after his father George FROGLEY became the owner of White's Farm at Letcombe Basset, Berkshire. The majority of the family are buried in the churchyard at Letcombe Basset.

Sydney Frogley married my great aunt Mary (Molly) Keating. I dont think they had any children.  They had a large cottage in Tramore in Co Waterford Ireland which is still there today.  Sydney initially met Molly to inform her of the death of her brother captain Tomas J Keating who died in Bagdad on 14 June 1918 as a result of aircraft failure.  He is buried in Bagdad. Sydney and Tomas were both in the 63rd squandron of the RAF at the time.

I met Molly when I was a teenager in the 1970s but Sydney had passed away by then ( in 1959).

Hello Paul,

It's good to see this topic reappear.  Additional information is always welcome.

Photographs of Mr Frogley feature in Damien Wright's superb book "Churchill's Secret War With Lenin."  See pages 406 & 425.

I see his face every day in the rather large framed photo of "C" Flight (photographed 19th Sept., 1919) which hangs in my living room!

Regards

Rob

Thanks Rob,

I have a letter from Molly Keating to my grandfather dated 1932.  Molly was living with Sydney in London at the time.

I believe they married in 1930.  Sydney was a stockbroker.  In 1932, Molly indicates to my grandfather that they

were finding it far to make ends meet following the stock market crash.  But I think Sydney did very well financially

over time.

Paul

• 5 years later...

Hi Rob,

Just to bring this topic back from the depths and shed some light upon it.
Sydney Gilbert Frogley is noted as South Irish Horse at The National Archives: 2nd Lieutenant Sydney Gilbert FROGLEY. South Irish Horse. 
Reference:    WO 339/46431 Description: 2nd Lieutenant Sydney Gilbert FROGLEY. South Irish Horse.

I have a copy of his file and there is no mention of the SIH within it, extensive searches have not shown any hint of his service with the SIH and I can only presume it's a typo from TNA.

Just to answer your question about his wound, he was injured by a bomb that had a faulty fuse which was thrown by No; 11830 E Graves R Berks Regt. Six men were wounded including Sydney and no one was held to blame, the accident being caused by a faulty fuse. The court of enquiry was held on the 8th April 1916.

On the 23rd April 1916 Sydney returned to Dover England aboard 'Shad Antwerpen' (sic) The cause of his return being a GSW right arm, sick leave being granted from 17th April to 29th May.

Thank you vaugh for the update.  After a hiatus of 5 years it was certainly a pleasant surprise to see this topic reappear. 

Would you happen to know where the R Berk Regt was deployed at the time of this incident.  Any details on the 4 other individuals would be good to have, if indeed you are aware.

Regards

Rob

Hi RFT,

Sadly the location of the incident is missing from the paperwork, however it was whilst he was with the 1st Royal Berkshire Regiment, so a search of the war diary might shed some light upon the location.

I've attached a few pages from WO339/46431 that will help, if you need better copies drop me a PM.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by vaugh
To reveal the text covered by the images, what a pain...

On 01/09/2008 at 01:57, Esskay said:

The Times Friday, Jul 08, 1921; pg. 19; Issue 42767; col C

post-16016-1220230285.jpg

Flt Lt & Capt Sydney/Sidney Gilbert FROGLEY

A very basic disability pension index cards at WFA/Fold3 shows he claimed for Deafness, age 27, address Tetcombe, Wantage, Berks

Later there is a reference to his Widow, "Mary", circa 25.11.59 [quotes on PIC] - there is another widow's PIC as Mary

M

Edited by Matlock1418
quotes

My thanks to you vaugh for uploading the WO339/46431 extracts and also to m1418 for the preceding piece of information.  It all adds to my ever expanding 47 Squadron South Russia archive.

Best regards

Rob