Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War memorials

KateJ

Could someone tell me how a killed in action soldier was included on a local war memorial?

For example, my grandfather's cousins Gordon Parnall Kemp (d1917) and Harold James Parnall Kemp (d1916) are listed on the war memorial in Great Dunmow. Yet they and their parents had been living in Great Yarmouth since before the Great War. They had previously been living in Dunmow since about 1890 and the brothers' father had been a well respected publican in the town. Could this be the reason why they were on this war memorial?

Thanks

Kate

They had previously been living in Dunmow since about 1890 and the brothers' father had been a well respected publican in the town. Could this be the reason why they were on this war memorial?

Hi Kate

Yes that could be a very likely reason. Most if not all memorials had committees that put out notices etc. and people just put the name of those who they wanted on the memorial. Some men are on more then one memorial. Others on the forum can give you a more detailed answer.

Annette

Thanks Annette. I didn't realise that they could be on more then one memorial.

I'm trying to find where-abouts my great-uncle is likely to be on any war memorial. According to CWGC, Francis Albert Hawes (kia 1916) of the Royal Garrison Artillery - HQ IV Corps Heavy Artillery was "Son of F. A. Hawes (late S.S.M. Army Pay Corps), of Hazon House, The Front, Seaton Carew, West Hartlepool. Native of Glencorse, Edinburgh. "

Francis was born in Glencourse at the army barracks for the Royal Scots - his father was in the Royal Scots - although he himself wasn't in this regiment. Do you think his name would still be included on the memorial at the barracks there? Or would he be on Glencourse town's memorial? Or even at Seaton, West Hartlepool (where all his family lived)? Or even all 3?

Sorry if these seem daft question but stuck "down south" miles away from where he was from (& with a very small baby), I couldn't do any "real" research, just cyberspace research.

Kate

PS Francis Albert's mother's mother was a Burgoyne - small world!

Kate

It's almost impossible to guess at this. He could be on one, or all, or none.

It's very much a combination of whatever "rules" the local organisation made up for itself and whether there was family who wanted him included. There were no national guidelines about inclusion and, as memorials were often erected by public subscription, it was very much whatever the local community wanted. Some will have said that it could only be residents; others will have taken a much wider view.

In terms of the two relatives on the memorial - they almost certainly will have had relatives or friend who arranged for their names to be inscribed. They may also be on one round Gt Yarmouth.

Those of us who research local memorials will usualy have one or two men where we absolutley no idea who they were and why they came to be included on the memorial. I know of one case where the guy appears on 8 different memorials (allegedly) - he was the local bobby.

You will need to do a bit more digging. I assume you have tried a "Google" search for the memorials? There is a thread on the Forum of members who have volunteered to photo local memorials. Someone may be in the area of your interest and be prepared to have a look for you

John

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have googled and found that there is memorial to the Royal Scots at Glencourse barracks (where he was born). Maybe one day I'll get there and see if his name is there.

Incidently, I'm doing an Open University degree - their prep. material for any humanities degree includes a large chunk on war memorials - local and national ones. V interesting.

Kate

Malcolm- that would be so kind of you if you could. I'm interested in Francis Albert Hawes, or any other Hawes at Glencourse.

Kate

Bob

Thank you so much for your very kind help. Guess I'll just have to keep looking!

Kate

• 2 weeks later...

Kate,

There are no name panels at Glencourse Barracks. The gates at Glencorse Barracks were erected as a Memorial to those Royal Scots who died during the Great War 1914- 18. The money to pay for this memorial was raised through the generosity of serving and past officers of the Regiment, old Royal Scots and their friends. The memorial is in the form of wrought-iron gates, supported on circular stone pillars, flanked by small side gates, imposing stone gatehouses and outer wing walls. The opening ceremony was performed on 18 March 1927 by HRH Princess Mary, Colonel in Chief.

Each year on Remembrance Sunday, a short ceremony is held at the Gates and a wreath laid in memory of all Royal Scots who made the supreme sacrifice.

Aye

Malcolm

Here's a perfect example of someone who is probably on several war memorials.

He is definitely on Ballymena's war memorial because he was from the townland of Slatt, outside Ballymena, served 15 years in Scots Greys (rising to rank of Sgt Major) and was then promoted and that's how he ends up in Royal West Kents!

He's bound to be on the Maidstone Memorial - I have a pic of him.

And some more details if anyone is interested!

From the CWG you would never know his connection to Ireland. I was wondering what was going on myself until I started the unending trawl through old papers.

Name: CATHCART, DAVID ANDREW

Initials: D A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 13/07/1916

Additional information: Husband of Emma Mahala Cathcart. Father of Ewart Aliwal Andrew

Cathcart, and Hazel May Cathcart, of The White Lodge, Bearsted. Maidstone.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. D. 17.

Cemetery: PERONNE ROAD CEMETERY, MARICOURT

Even in my local area I know of some who appear on two or else three memorials. Some cases they dont appear where they should, but they are remembered somewhere.

For me they are valuable historical documents and should be treated as such, as those who use them expect them to be as accurate as possible.

John

Malcolm

Thank you for the information about Glencourse.

Kate

• 3 weeks later...

A recent issue of the Friends of War Memorials Bulletin had a short article which mentioned that they support the correction and addition of names on War Memorials (I assume this is just in the UK).

They said to contact them for help (020-7259-0403) and their web site is here FOWM.

Neil