Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kent Volunteer Fencibles

Neil Clark

I came across this very very rare photo of a KENT VOLUNTEER FENCIBLE's man in uniform. Apparently this photo many years ago caused quite a storm -

The Kent Volunteer Fencibles was raised by public subscription as a Volunteer Training Corps/Force (VTC). The War Office eventually agreed to take it over and all enlisted men were given the status of part-time volunteer soldiers of the two county infantry regiments. The Volunteers remained at home defending key points and preparing physical defences in case of invasion.

The photo appears to show a member of the clergy wearing the uniform and carrying a rifle. He also appears to be wearing a clerical collar and his white cuffs are also seen under his tunic. Upon closer inspection it was confirmed that this chap is in fact named Richard O'Gorman the local R.C Priest of Hythe, Kent. Quite what he is doing carrying a weapon I have no idea, I thought this was forbidden? He's clearly wearing the black armband of the National Reserve too. Clergymen were normally given the honorary rank of Lieutenant or Captain but in this case he's wearing a privates tunic.

You can clearly see from the other photo that the chap in uniform is clearly the same man.

This is the only photograph I have ever seen which shows a member of the KVF in uniform. Of course the Kent Volunteer Fencibles eventually went on to become Volunteer (V) battalions of the local infantry regiments - The Buffs and the West Kent's.

post-2961-1219929072.jpg

post-2961-1219929080.jpg

Neil,

The armband being worn isn't black nor does it refer to the National Reserve, it's actually red and carries the letters 'GR' in black felt and was a prominent feature of VTC units.

Neil,

The armband being worn isn't black nor does it refer to the National Reserve, it's actually red and carries the letters 'GR' in black felt and was a prominent feature of VTC units.

Graham,

I have just realised who you are. Our paths have crossed a few times in the past when discussing VTC's etc... Because of your pedigree in this area which I'm happy to acknowledge here, I'm happy to admit I'm WRONG. I seem to be making quite a habit of it lately!

Have you ever considered writing a book about this very neglected and mis-understood aspect of the Great War Graham? I think it would sell very well bearing in mind I know of no similar publication that concentrates on the VTC's/Militias/Volunteer Battalions/RDC ect...

Can you explain very briefly the difference between the NATIONAL RESERVE and the VTC's which in the case of Kent's KVF went on to become volunteer infantry battalions split between The Buffs and the RWKR. I understand this was done when the War Office agreed to take over the VTC's and give them the status as soldiers albeit volunteers.

The KVF in North Kent became RWKR (V) and South Kent VTC's became Buffs (V). I have seen these units get confused with 2nd and 3d Line Territorial Force battalions which of course was an altogether different army organisation. In the case of the Buffs volunteers their official name was - Voluteers Battalion (V), The Buffs (East Kent Regiment). The West Kent's did the same. It is quite confusing if you don't understand the typres of units -

Regular Army

Service (K1,K2,K3)

Territorial Force (1st 2nd and 3rd Line)

Volunteers (formerly the Militia)

All the same quite an interesting set of photos...

Thanks for taking the time to look at them and post a valued comment.

Neil

Neil,

This was written some time ago for another website and is bar far the best way to describe how the National Reserve functioned. I also did an article for the Military Modeller many years ago on the VTC, which is much to big to add here, but I could try and send an e.mail copy if required.

You could also add to the list of Reserve formations the "Technical Reserve".

Northumberland National Reserve 1911 - 1914

Formed in 1910, the National Reserve replaced it’s predecessor the “Veteran Reserve”, but it wasn’t until the 20th November 1911 that a meeting was held in Northumberland by the Reserve & Cadets Committee to recommend it’s adoption by the Northumberland Territorial Force Association.

The “Rules for the formation, organization and Management in the County of Northumberland” were;-

(1) Detachments shall be established by the Territorial Force Association of the County at such centres as the Reserve & Cadets Committee of that Association shall determine.

(2) For each detachment so established there shall be an officer in command appointed by the Association.

(3) Every such officer shall alone be responsible to the Association for the organisation and management of his detachment.

(4) Applications for the registration in the National Reserve will be made to the Officers in command of detachments by candidates residing at or near centres in which the detachment has been established, or to the Secretary of the T.F.A. at 6 Eldon Square, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

(5) A register according to it’s approval will be kept by the Officer in command of each detachment, and a central register in the Association office. The name of, and particulars concerning each approved candidate, will be entered in the registers. Officers commanding detachments will be responsible that all candidates accepted for registration are eligible under the Regulations for the National Reserve, and they will not accept for registration any candidate whose character on discharge from His Majesty’s Service was less than “Good”. Special cases candidates with a “Fair” or less character should be referred, if the Officer commanding the detachment considers it advisable, to the Secretary of the T.F.A. for the consideration of the Reserve & Cadets Committee. That Committee shall investigate the matter and decide the case, reporting their decision to the General Purpose Committee for the information of the Association.

(6) Should it appear to any Officer in command of a detachment desirable in the interests of the National Reserve, that the name of any individual registered member should be removed from the register, he shall report the matter with full details to the Secretary of the T.F.A. for the consideration of the Reserve & Cadets Committee. That Committee shall investigate the matter and decide the case reporting their decision to the General Purpose Committee for the information of the Association.

(7) Officers commanding detachments should, if they consider it desirable, form detachment rifle clubs as branches of a County National Reserve Rifle Association. These rifle clubs must be self supporting and cannot receive grants from the public funds of the T.F.A.

(8) A distinguishing badge will be presented to every registered member of the National Reserve of the County, to be worn in plain clothes only. Badges of members who cease for any reason to be borne on the register will be returned to the Officer commanding the detachment of which they formed part, for reissue to new members.

(9) Officers commanding detachments will make their own arrangements for mustering their detachments at least once a year at such time as under local conditions are most convenient. All casualties will be reported to the Secretary of the T.F.A. as they occur.

(10) There shall be a Central Committee of Management composed of the members of the Reserve & Cadets Committee of the Association and such other members, being Officers commanding detachments or other persons in the County interested in the National Reserve, as the Association may from time to time approve.

(11) These rules shall be read to each member registered and he shall be required to sign them as acknowledgment that he agrees to abide by them.

Northumberland National Reserve

Newcastle City Battalion, National Reserve (formed 8/10/1912).

No.1 Coy - Benwell & Elswick.

No.2 Coy - Westgate & Spital Toungues.

No.3 Coy - All Saints & St.Nicholas.

No.4 Coy - Jesmond.

No5. Coy - Heaton, Byker & “Commissionaires”

No.6 Coy - Gosforth.

Northumberland National Reserve Detachments.

Alnwick Detachment.

Ashington & Newbiggin Detachment.

Berwick-on-Tweed Detachment.

Blyth Detachment.

Hexham Detachment.

Morpeth Detachment.

North Shields, Preston Colliery, Howden & Willington Quay Detachments.

Tynemouth, Whitley Bay, Monkseaton & Cullercoats Detachment.

Walker & Wallsend Detachment.

Wooler Detachment.

Provided National Reserve Guards for vulnerable points and on the 1st November 1914 their strength return was 10 Officers and 562 O/R’s. By 7th May 1915 they had been absorbed as Supernumary Companies of the 5th and 6th Battalions, Northumberland Fusiliers, with 14 Officer and 631 O/R‘s.

Copyright - G.Stewart December 2005.

Graham,

I'd realy love to see that article you wrote re VTC's etc....

My email is clarkneil(at)hotmail.co.uk

Ignore the (at) above.Use @ as normal. It stops the search robots from getting my address for spam!

Kind regards

Neil

• 2 years later...

I've just started researching the Kent Volunteers and thought you might like to see this image - to my knowledge I don't think it's been seen before. It depicts 'D' Company of the 1st Battalion of the Kent Volunteer Regiment in (probably) July 1916 and certainly before August. This was taken by Charles Harris, a well known Dover group photographer so I can only assume it was taken there. It's interesting to see a mixture of uniform and civilian clothes in the same group.

Could anyone kindly recommend any basic essential reading sources on the Kent Volunteers? Thank you.

dcof.jpg

Fencibles have always been home defence only from the 18th century onwards. Indeed the Ancient Irish Fencibles appear to have been unique in being the only fencible unit to have served in a battle overseas (Alexandria 1801). Originally it was not unknown for the local vicar to raise some of his parishioners as a fencible company and to serve alongside them.

• 3 years later...

I have recently come across this photo. I cannot explain a great deal about it, other than it was taken between 1916 and 1918 at Archcliffe Fort at Dover. They depict mostly old chaps, (and one young lad), who look far too old for regular service. Certainly D Company of the 1st (Cinque Ports Battalion) Kent Volunteer Regiment stood guard at Archcliffe and I think they were formed out the earlier Dover Volunteer Training Corps.

They appear to have the Lion and Unicorn cap badge but I cannot be certain given the definition.

Could these be Kent Volunteers of some sort?

132a Old boys sm.jpg

heads.jpg

post-56193-0-69031800-1417555930_thumb.j

post-56193-0-55936300-1417556267_thumb.j

Edited by Fossil Phil

Well I'll be. The chap with the beard and the tall fellow on the far right appear to be in the group shot in my post from three years ago. Third row up, fifth and sixth on the right.

• 2 years later...

I discovered the old photo below in my great grandfather's photo collection; it's of a family friend whose uniform had vexed me for some time. I was also unable to decipher the copperplate handwriting on the reverse until I got new glasses. It appears to be a photo of "Company Quartermaster Sergeant, J. A. Waston, 2nd Battalion, Kent Volunteer Fencibles". Unfortunately, I have no further information.59df44af468b5_J.A.Watson1.jpg.8928cf258cf91e76c2b767e23b7d4fec.jpg59df44d633dba_J.A.WatsonReverse1.jpg.1d898fbf9808622ef99e361193365ca7.jpg

Edited by R Dunbar

• 6 years later...

I am researching my great great uncle Christian Hamilton Gray who joined the C Company of the 2nd Battalion of the Kent Fencibles .  In 1915 he writes to his wife: "I went for a Uniform parade of the old & bold and was engaged in adversely criticising the fit of the men's uniforms, as some of them were not a credit to such an efficient body of men.  This however with the help of the Tailor who was present will be put right.  I hope in time to be ready for the Battalion inspection by Lord Harris who seems to be keen to see the redoubtable battalion in being.  The proposed date is the 3rd of Oct. but it is not yet quite fixed...

You will be glad to hear that the C Company of the 2nd Battalion defeated the A Company of the 1st Battalion in the shooting match for the Cup offered by Sir H North & myself, the losing Commandant to pay for it."

I have an undatedIMG_2086.jpg.58498d985b608579620da17b188bd35c.jpg photograph labelled by his wife "Chris with his group of officers"  

I would value any comments about the Old Fencibles.

Nicolette Hibbin