Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Max Plowman (Mk VII)

Dolphin

I've just re-read Max Plowman's excellent 1928 book "A Subaltern on the Somme" and found myself naturally curious about the battalion he he served in and describes so well. I've looked in some trusted sources and found that, when serving on the Somme, he was in:

(a) 10th West Yorks, 50th Brigade, 17th Division; or

(B) 11th West Yorks, 69th Brigade, 23rd Division.

I'll be grateful for advice regarding his unit(s).

• 4 years later...

I started reading with book over the weekend - I was somewhat thrown by the tone ; prabably becuase it is the first record of a man who felt he had to volunteer - firstly as a medic and then as officer - and who was uncomfortable in his skin

Pressing on !

Stephen

Plowman first enlisted into 4th London Field Ambulance. Out of interest, his real given name was Mark, not Max, which may have been a nickname. I think his pseudonym MK VII was a play on words - Mark his first name, and MK V11 ,(303 inch ammunition) used in in the British infantryman's rifle. His close friends and military colleagues would have recognized it.

TR

Evening Dolphin.

Well, i will put you in touch with a good friend.

Max was on the strength of the 10th (Service) Battalion, of the West Yorkshire Regiment.

I will drop you an e-mail tom.

Kindest regards,

Chris.

Have now finished the book - there was a noticable chnage to his attititude to his soldiers and other officers after 3 months in action!! Much more what I would have expceted earlier.

Will re-read again - his pen portraits are good and I can see his comrades easily

Stephen