Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Preston RFA

TWSRGA

post-18905-1219848952.jpg

A friend has asked me to help trace her uncle. He is one of the soldiers on the back row of the photograph..

I think they are RFA. Can anyone confirm this and give me details of the guns. I have serched the Medal records and other service files without success. Any information may help to get started.

Details of the soldier are: Harry Preston, born 23/02/1898, at Handsworth, Birmingham. It is known that he served in F & F and was demobilised.

Any info. will be welcome

Stan

Can't help on the guns but they are not 13 pdrs or 18 pdrs which had a single pole trail.

I would say that the photograph is post WW1, early/mid 1920's or even to mid 1930's, as they are wearing their lanyards on the right shoulder; this was changed from the left after WW1.

The tents in the background would suggest that this may have been taken at a TF or TA annual camp.

Absent voters list for 1918 might be a place start to trace your man.

Hi Stan,

I agree with squirrel and say that the photo is post war. The guns look to be Mk 4, 18 pounders on Mk 3 carriages, only a handful of these field guns saw service in France just prior to the armistice.

Jon

Stan

There are seven OR RFA Harry Prestons all of whom survived the war:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

Having the service records checked at the NA seems to be the only way forward unless you follow Squirrel's suggestion of checking the AVL.

regards

Mel

Could they be RHA? The reason I ask is because the officer with the cuff rank (which went out in about 1921 IIRC) as do the 2 officers to his left and the NCO on the front right appear to be wearing jodphers (sp?). I know the RFA had horsemen but I'm probably clutching at straws saying RHA.

In fact, the whole front row are carrying stick/crops.

Les

Les

All the MICs are either for the RFA or RGA - but we are all being norty because it was the RA post war.

Regards

Mel

If the relative is in the picture, then there is another clue to the rough date..... 1919/20 latest. Stan mentioned that the uncle was demobbed.... most were Class Z in 1919, so I'd hazard a guess that the pic is summer 1918-summer 1919..... more than likely 1919 (but that's just me guessing :P )

Les

Thanks to everyone who replied to my posting.

I had my suspicions that the photo was postwar. Harry Preston did serve in the war years and I will take up the suggestion to research the AVRs.

Regards to everyone,

Stan