Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Infantry Platoon

Somme1916

Well, I'll try and type this again as my first attempt disappeared.

The diagrams are from a training manual SS 143 Instructions for the Traioning of Platoons for Offensive Action first published in Feb 1917. I think someone has recently reprinted this and other training manuals. The importance of this pamphlet is covered in Paddy Griffith's book 'Battle Tactics of the Western Front. Basically, these were the new platoon level tactics enabling the platoon to tackle the German pill box defences. The other section you mention were, indeed, bombers (i.e. hand grenade men).

I haven't seen the diagrams on the web, however.

Pals,

About 18 months ago I came across a web page that had some diagrams which showed how a typical Platoon of British Infantry would deploy for battle during 17-18.

I this diagram it showed the platoon broken up into for sections. Rifle Grenadiers, Lewis Guns, Bayonets (I think) and one other, that I can not recall (maybe hand bombers). It also explained what each section did during the assault. Rifle Grenadiers: destroy MG posts, Lewis Guns suppress the enemy on the objective etc. etc.

As I can not find this web page anywhere does anyone have the answers or can anyone recommend where I can go to find the answer. I've already searched The Long Long Trail site and I'm afraid it doesn't go into the level of detail I'm looking for.

Many thanks,

Jon