Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

European Families World War and the Welfare State

John Gilinsky

I believe that a British historian with the last name staring with the letter D(?) had published by Cambridge University Press in the mid or late 1980's an excellent cross-culturla comparison of social welfare and social history focusing on the impact of the war on families from different belligerent nations including France, Germany, Great Britain and I think Italy(etc...?). The book is excellent.

HELP! Can someone please tell me the full author, title, date of publication and ISBN PLEASE?

Thanks,

John

:unsure::blink:

Can SOMEONE in the GWF or associated with them or okay the WORLD please help? I know that I consulted a copy locally about 1 year or less ago. It is a very good book.

Thanks,

John

Can't help you, John, but have you tried trawling through the CUP website http://www.cambridge.org/emea/default.asp ? Or maybe an approach to CUP would pay dividends?

As an aside, why do you always repeat the title of your thread in the 'sub-title' line? :mellow: I know someone else asked this a few weeks ago.

Good luck with your search.

Jim

Thanks Jim for trying to help. Yes I have tried the major national and international online library catalogue search engines including the British Library's and yes I did try searching CUP's excellent website. All to NO avail! :o

Odd that I did find and use this book as I said in my original post. It consists of an author *I think British who researched European welfare state policies just prior and during and after the war with a lot of stats organized nationally. Widow's pensions, dependency allotments, etc...are very well organized. Sigh. I may email the Canadian reps of CUP but even then they may not be able to help unless they contact CUP UK directly.... The research beat goes on though!

John

S. O. S. !

HELP! HELP! HELP! I did email the Canadian contact for CUP a couple of days ago but no response yet. CAN some kind soul or some British academic help me out? The book is really good and I am teaching the welfare state to my students. I have lots of great stuff for Canada but the book offers somewhat of a comparison for European families.

Thanks,

John

:blink::unsure:

S. O. S. !

Did'nt Arthur Marwick cover this sort of stuff in The Deluge.

Len

Yes he did but that was about 20 years before this 1980s book. The book is well written and well organized and decently researched. However while I might shelf read (sigh) L of Congress call numbers * I think the book at U of T is H....(social history) something it would be great if someone in the WORLD :rolleyes: could help me! Come hidden academics have your grad student email me or something! PLEASE! S.O.S.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone in the WORLD please help this lost lonely researcher actually pin point this 1980's book? Still nothing! I feel like those searchers for the Titanic in the 1980's. So close but so far!

John

Wrong decade, but might it be John Williams 'Home Fronts' ISBN 0094577706 Published by Constable 1972

I think it appeared in the US (& Canada?) as

'The Other Battleground: The Home Fronts: Britain, France and Germany 1914-1918'

Dear Moderator Kate: Just when I was starting to loose my faith in humanity (sorry people to be pc:)) your posting brightens my day. The initial 1972 date of publication does not make it look promising but the second North American version title might be it (later edition from the 1980's?). At any rate whether you are right or wrong were I to see you now I would buy you a box of chocolates (okay a sherry and port).

Thanks again,

John

Thankyou John.

A nice drop of port and a plain chocolate coffee cream - bliss!!

The book in question was if I remember right found in a dissertation's (Canadian University) bibliography(dissertation is I think available via Library and Archives, Ottawa, Canada) website online. I will check similar or related titles published from 1990 onwards to see if other books refer to the sought item in their bibliographies. Still no luck though out there?

:blink::unsure:

Still no luck. I will persist though. Any news from the "Western Front" (I live in Canada remember!)?

Thanks anyone!

John

Toronto

Success at last! Book identified and 1 library copy locally found! Book was a 1988 Cambridge University Press compilation (edited) collection of essays that are very detailed and archivally based. Will post full bib details later.

Whew!

John

• 2 weeks later...

Wall, Richard and Winter, Jay (editors)

"The Upheaval of War: Family, Work and Welfare in Europe, 1914-1918"

Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1988

ISBN: 0 521 32345 2

John