Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18th Londons Perham Down

squirrel

The 18th battalion London Regiment London Irish Rifles were at Perham Down near Tidworth

the weekend before war was declared in 1914.

They arrived on the Saturday and came back to London on the Sunday as the camp was cancelled

with the iminent embodiment of the battalion.

Is anybody able to tell me where abouts at Perham Down they were if the camp was under canvas

or was the barracks there used at all?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Perham Down was a camping-site (ie with only open-sided cooking shelters and a water supply) established in 1898 and used mainly by Volunteer/Territorial units; it was popular because it was only a short march from Ludgershall Station, so no great trial for unfit men. With the outbreak of war, Perham Down was one of many Wiltshire camping-sites that had hutments built on them. Troops were under canvas there until at least December, 8 after which they moved elsewhere, often into billets. I don't have a date for when building work started, but I think it was early 1915.

Most of the huts were replaced by brick buildings in the 1920s.

If requested, I can provide a grid reference for the camping-site. Postcards showing the camping-site are quite common, but seldom have key geographical features that enable one to pinpoint exactly where the photograph was taken.

Moonraker

Thanks Moonraker.

Does this mean that the barracks that is currently there, used by RE, is 1920's?

From what I could see of it it looks as if it were a fine building in it's time and perhaps earlier.

Also interesting that they would have marched from Ludgershall and not Tidworth - I am assuming that Tidworth had a station. Fair old slog up hill to Perham Down from Tidworth though.

Wouldn't have a photo of any of the Perham Down camps would you?

Seadog,

thank you very much for the picture and the link - much appreciated.

No problem, I like you am very interested in this location and I am sure members will be posting more info and perhaps photos in due course.

Norman

Did a Google search and found a company that has a OS map for Perham Down 1894 to 1909 as well as others of Tidworth and Ludgershall.

From the small picture of PD on the website I was able to see rifle ranges marked as well as what looked like areas allocated for tents etc. so I took the plunge and ordered a copy.

Not cheap as they print to order but worth a punt.

I have no connection with the company but pm if you want their website details.

Thanks Moonraker.

Does this mean that the barracks that is currently there, used by RE, is 1920's?

From what I could see of it it looks as if it were a fine building in it's time and perhaps earlier.

Also interesting that they would have marched from Ludgershall and not Tidworth - I am assuming that Tidworth had a station. Fair old slog up hill to Perham Down from Tidworth though.

Wouldn't have a photo of any of the Perham Down camps would you?

Perham Down has seen several re-buildings, including one in 1972-74, when Swinton Barracks was built and became the home of the 22nd Engineer Regiment.

Ludgershall Station had platforms specially designed for military traffic, and pre-1914 postcards are quite common (but sell for c£18 a time) of troops detraining there for Perham Down and Windmill Hill Camps. A line continued to Tidworth, where there was a civilian station, and then into the barracks; this was more used for delivering stores and equipment than troop movements, though individual soldiers and small parties doubtless used the station; I've seen very few cards showing wholesale detraining of troops there. Part of the line still stands, running through the site of Ludgershall Station and into, I think, a vehicle depot.

Seadog's postcard is as good as any of the camp and though I've many more, none are particularly meaningful. Not many WWI images of the hutted camp seem to exist.

Moonraker

think I have some LRB photo's from Perham Down before the war and after - some from the LRB Record - also there are some in the IWM archive.

• 2 years later...
  • Admin

No problem, I like you am very interested in this location and I am sure members will be posting more info and perhaps photos in due course.

Norman

I know this is is an older thread but came across this postcard in an auction catalogue yesterday and thought it may be of interest.

The pc is a sample from an album containing WW1 pcs - but I have no idea of the date

post-42838-058388400 1295985281.jpg

btw fantastic collection - I was willing Tom to survive!

Ken

That's a card I haven't seen. I assume that the wooden structures are "ablutions". Perhaps the large one on the left comprises showers and the smaller ones are either showers for officers or latrines?

Moonraker

• 3 months later...

Is anyone able to tell me what the difference is between Park House Camp and Perham Down? And if Park House is indeed a distinct camp, where exactly it was? I'm interested in someone who I know de-trained at Tidworth, so it must be marching distance from the station there.

Many thanks,

Kate

Park House Camp was between Bulford and Tidworth Barracks, one mile west of Shipton Bellinger and three miles south west of Perham Down Camp. The march from Tidworth Station would have been two miles over flat roads - nothing much compared with the seven or eight miles that the First Canadian Contingent had to march, usually at night, on arrival on Salisbury Plain in October 1914. There's nothing to be seen on the site today.

Moonraker

The barracks at Perham Down were built in the mid-1930's. The only remaining original buildings are the Officers and Sergeants messes. If you go towards Tidworth, passing Lambsdown Terrace on your right, you will find a wide track to your left after the bend. Go up through the woods and along the ridge and you will get some fine views of Perham Down, Tidworth Garrison, Tidworth House (sometimes marked on maps as Tedworth) the grounds of which were used to house New Army battalions.Where the track runs out of the woods, you can see the location of Park House camp over to the right behind Shipton Bellinger. You can follow it on Google maps

TR

• 2 years later...
Guest kathleenbarrow

Dear kenf48

I am researching Lenard Stanley Steward who died at Perham Down. I am a member of Leyton & Leytonstone History Society and we are writing the story of the soldiers who died in world war 1 who are comemmorated in our local church yard. Could I use your picture of the training camp in my story. It is not for profit just to record who tey were etc..... Kathleenbarrow