Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drake Bn RND

ianmccallum

Hi

Does anyone have the Drake battalion War Diary which covers the period 15 Oct - 25 Oct 1917. Apparently they were assisting the 7 C.R.T. Anyone any idea what that unit is.

Ian McCallum

7 C.R.T. would refer to the 7th Battalion, Canadian Railway Troops. According to their War Diary they were grading and laying track across the Steenbeek and along Langemarck Road at this time. Nelson and Drake Battalions were among the units who supplied attached labour on some days.

Although the Canadian Corps began their participation in the Passchendales operations at this time, 7 C.R.T. had nothing to do with this. They were permanently in the area, attached to 2nd Army (I believe!). As you can tell from their Diary they were not "in the rear". Their work was undertaken under more or less continual shell fire, and casualties were continuous both among their own personnel and the attached labour.

post-75-1219729894.jpg

[James

Thanks for the reply and the insight. People never think of men such as the railway troops.

Ian

[Hi Horatio

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me where they were based at that time. Were they moving from a camp daily or where they in trenches.

Ian

They were in REIGERSBURG CAMP near Ypres from the evening of 6 October until 31 October when they moved forward to CHEDDAR VILLA and IRISH FARM is support of operations by 189 Bde. On 29 and 30 October they had supplied large numbers of men (up to 500) as stretcher bearers for the operations by 190 Bde.

I am sure someone will provide you with precise locations of these positions

Horatio

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I have a clearer picture now. Thanks for your help.

Ian

• 1 year later...

Dear Ian

I see you are interested in Drake Battalion, RND. Although your last entry was Aug 2008, hope you still use the forum. I am also very interested in Drake. Perhaps you have some photos or info for 1917/1918. You will see I am chatting to' Hugh' and he has provided a brilliant photo of the officers in 1918.

I have a couple of photos too.

Hope to hear from you soon

best wishes

Oppy

Courtesy of Tom Muirhead:-

Field Oct 9th Working party of 250 men employed with 7th CRT. 200 men standing by for working parties.

10th 450 men employed with 7th CRT. 2 ORs wounded.

Field Oct 11th 500 men employed with 7th CRT. Casualties. 1 OR Died of Wounds, 4 ORs wounded.

12th 650 men on railway work with 7th CRT.

13th 150 men employed with 7th CRT. Casualties [unreadable].

14th 450 men employed with 7th CRT.

15th 750 men employed with 7th CRT.

16th 650 men employed with 7th CRT.

17th [number not stated] men employed with 7th CRT.

18th " men employed with 7th CRT.

19th One officer, 1 PO and 50 ORs working at HOSPITAL SPUR, St JULIEN reporting there at 6am

Four officers, 5 POs and 200 ORs NORCHOF YARD at 7.15am

Two parties - One of 1 NCO and 25 ORs, at 6am; the other of 1 PO and 25 ORs at 12 noon, both parties at NORTHUMBERLAND YARD.

Two parties 1 officer, 1 PO and 50 ORs, at 6am ) BOSHE[?]

1 officer, 1 PO and 50 ORs, at 12 noon) CASTLE LEAP

One officer, 1 PO, 50 ORs, CRT, AGADIR CAMP, at 7am. P.MID[?] 1 PO, 25 ORs CRT Camp at 8am (loading sand bags).

20th 200 men on railway work with 7th CRT.

21st 300 men on railway work with 7th CRT.

22nd 400 men on railway work with 7th CRT.

23rd 600 men on railway work with 7th CRT. 4 officers and 92 ORs proceeded to XVIII Reinforcement Camp as personnel left out of action.

24th 550 men for railway work with 7th CRT. Casualties 2 ORs Killed, 2 ORs D of W, 2 ORs Wnd.

25th 350 men for railway work with 7th CRT. -do- Sub Lt K[?] E BRIDDON and 3 ORs Wnd, 1 OR Died of Wounds.

26th 500 men for railway work with 7th CRT.

27th 450 men for railway work with 7th CRT.

28th Working parties NIL. Brigadier Gen Phillips inspected the Battalion and bid farewell.

29th Training. Supplied a party of 1 officer and 50 ORs as Stretcher bearers. Casualties 6 ORs Killed and 8 ORs Wounded.