Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possibly the last female WW1 veteran has died

AlanCurragh

I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere on the forum - the Boston Globe link states that the British authorities have not been able to confirm her service. Do any forum pals know anything about her?

RIP Gladys

Alan

==

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladys_Powers

http://finance.boston.com/boston?GUID=6372...;ChannelID=3198

Rest in Peace Gladys

Hopefully someone will publish her memoirs...sad that the British cannot confirm her service though

Jon

There is only one MIC to a female Powers amongst the 188 recorded. She is 13691 worker Martha Powers, QMAAC. Unlikely to be the one being looked for unless it is known that she went by the name of Martha.

There is only one MIC to a female Powers amongst the 188 recorded.

Jim, she was Gladys Stokes until her first marriage in 1920 (see Alan's first link in post #1).

Such a shame, sad to lose the last female veteran. I, like jay dubaya, hope her memoirs are published - the work of the WAAC and QMAAC is of a lot of interest to me and a friend of mine. Rest in peace.

From curiosity I tried looking for her in family records - nearest I could find on 1901 census was a 1 year old born/living at Brixton (nearby to Lewisham) - could not see the father, and if I have the right ones there was Gladys (1), Cyril (3) and Winifred (24 - persumably her mother). However I cannot see any births on Free BMD for either of these two children, nor a marriage involving a Frederck Charles Stokes and a Winifred....

Anyone with better search abilities/luck?

Ian

There is a Gladys Stokes who had a father Frederick W Stokes living in Lambeth, he was a Stock Exchange Clerk, could be the family? There is the marriage of a Gladys Winifred Stokes to an Edward D Luxford in Hackney in the December Qtr of 1918.

Easy enough to get an initial wrong after so many years.

Aled

Aled,

Maybe the info we need, because this then might be her?

Description Medal card of Stokes, Winifred G

Corps Regiment No Rank

Voluntary Aid Detachment

Territorial Force Nursing Service

Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/23

And this would perhaps be the birth:

Births Jun 1899

--------------------------------------

Stokes Gladys Winifred Lambeth 1d 462

Maybe there is enough to make a positive ID? If the above nurse was her, would a record have survived?

Ian

I have numerous articles about Gladys and none of them say she was nurse. According to one article she joined the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps and was later transferred to the Women's Royal Air Force where she worked as a barracks waitress. In one article there was a picture of her in uniform. I will try and post it later to see if it can be identified. It's a picture of a picture.

That is the correct marriage for her first marriage. Gladys and Edward came to Canada in August 1919 on the troopship Baltic.

I've seen a similar uniform (hard to tell from the photograph) of a WAAC attached to the RFC, as Gladys was. It's the standard WAAC uniform of a one piece dress which comes down to the feet (my friend who has spent about half a year researching the WAAC calls it a 'WAAC sack'), and a detachable collar, but with the large, short tie as shown in the photograph - no doubt to look smart for waitressing duties

Thanks for the info. I tried to find images online for her uniform or hat so I could compare them but didn't find much.