Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Henry McGrogan

keatley

I'm trying to find the service record or medal index card for my Great Uncle John Henry McGrogan.

The problem is that a number of John McGrogans are listed.

He was born in 1896 in Middlesbrough, and this is where he died in 1992, so a possibility that he may have enlisted there too.

He was very proud of his service and was constantly telling stories of the war, I only wish I had listened more closely as a kid.

It is more likely to be the first John McGrogan as Middlesbrough was then in Yorkshire, but how can I be certain?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

From the Medal Roll Index it is between...

Name: John McGrogan

Regiment or Corps: Yorkshire Regiment, Yorkshire Regiment

Regimental number: 7083, 235254

Regiment or Corps: Highland Light Infantry

Regimental number: 8577

Regiment or Corps: Royal Irish Fusiliers

Regimental number: 31234

Regiment or Corps: Machine Gun Corps

Regimental number: 82097

Hi Paul, your great uncle could be any one of the 4 that you've listed, presuming that he served overseas. Are there any famly photos of him in uniform or medals etc? Since he survived the war and lived to a ripe old age, there is a very strong possibility that he may be listed in the Absent Voters List (AVL) for Middlesbrough which is held in the Teeside Archives who can be found at:

Exchange House Monday

6 Marton Road

MIDDLESBROUGH

TS1 1DB

Telephone: (01642) 248321

Fax: (01642) 248391

Email: teesside_archives@middlesbrough.gov.uk

In most cases the AVL's that have survived will list a service number and regiment

Good luck,

Jon

Thanks Jon,

Just sent them an email

Fingers crossed & thanks for your help

Paul

Hi Paul, your great uncle could be any one of the 4 that you've listed, presuming that he served overseas. Are there any famly photos of him in uniform or medals etc? Since he survived the war and lived to a ripe old age, there is a very strong possibility that he may be listed in the Absent Voters List (AVL) for Middlesbrough which is held in the Teeside Archives who can be found at:

Exchange House Monday

6 Marton Road

MIDDLESBROUGH

TS1 1DB

In most cases the AVL's that have survived will list a service number and regiment

Good luck,

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Back to square 1!!

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Thank you for your enquiry. I have checked the Absent Voters List but John McGrogan does not appear on it and consequently we cannot identify the correct person on the medal roll index. However I can say that it is not the John Mcgrogan from the Highland Light Infantry no 8577. It is always difficult in these cases to indentify surviving soldiers due to the destruction of most of the service records that occurred during WW2 when the building containing the records was bombed.

I'm sorry that we could not help you on this occasion.

Exchange House Monday

6 Marton Road

MIDDLESBROUGH

TS1 1DB

Good luck,

Jon

• 2 months later...
Guest June_Finlay

Hi Paul

I have some really good news for you ...John Henry McGrogan was also my gt gt uncle on my fathers side..I have been researching my family tree for a while now and have many photos of the Mcgrogans including John. You will also be pleased to hear I have his full WWI service record and I can confirm he is the 1st on your list. It certainly makes very interesting reading. Please get in contact asap and i can share all this with you, I would also love to find the connection between us.

Kind Regards

June Finlay

That's fantastic,keep us informed .It's a small world,thanks to the forum.

Mike

Certainly is Mike!!! I owe so much to this forum

June sent you a message

Cant wait to hear from you

Paul