Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

111 heavy battery RGA

mjlawson

Does anyone out there know if the war diary for the 111 heavy battery RGA exists and is available on the internet or any forum member have a copy?

i am looking for the period late 1915 to end 1917.

regards,

Michael

The War Diary for 111th Heavy Battery, RGA for the period Sept. 1914 to July 1915 and April 1917 to Jan 918 is available at TNA at WO95/390. The battery's war diary for the remainder of the war has not be located. Dick Flory

Michael,

There are two diaries for 111 HB at NA ref WO95/390. The first will not concern you as it is from arrival in France Sep 1914 through to July 1915. You already know from your previous post Gnr Motley enlisted in Oct 1915 and served with 111 HB. This information comes from the SWB reference page 389 on his MIC. This can be verified in the NA folio WO329/2984 on said page.

The second diary covers the period Apr 1917 to Jan 1918 and is well worth you getting. It is approx 62 pages in total and can be ordered online. The script is in the hand of one person throughout which I assume is the BCA, as the initials of the BC are shown every day in a separate column. A good idea whereby you can check to see how accurate a diary is, is by using Geoff’s search engine to verify all casualties have been recorded, and in the case of 111 HB it appears to be very accurate. No names are given for OR’s, just ‘X amount killed, and X amount wounded’ etc which is disappointingly typical. Names and service numbers for medal winners are recorded though, along with a good description as to why they were awarded which is a rare bonus.

Battery positions are clearly indicated so you will have no problem following the progress of 111 HB through 1917, along with the number of rounds it expended on a daily basis and their targets. Interestingly the majority of casualties to the battery during 1917 came through bombs dropped by enemy aeroplanes and not through hostile shellfire as you might expect. One major incident I can see that might have possibly involved Gnr Motley was on the 26/8/17. The diary records: “9 men killed and 14 wounded by bombs dropped by aeroplane Near Swan Chateaux”. Information on this incident may be expanded upon by also looking in the Heavy Artillery Group (HAG) diary they were part of for some 3 months during this period (along with several others). This is 28 brigade. and can be found at NA ref WO95/541

Rgds Paul

Paul,

Thanks for that detailed reply.

Unfortunately I live in Vietnam right now, so wont be getting down to the NA anytime soon! But at least I know what to look for when I do!

best regards,

Michael

• 2 years later...

I was interested to see the earlier detail about the Battery and would be very grateful if anyone could let me have a summary of the areas where it was deployed during the war - in particular throughout 1917.

Many thanks!

Alan