Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liverpool memorial(s)

Smith 565

I'm researching Wilfred Lawton, kia on 22 August 1918 with 4th Tank Supply Company. Unfortunately at present I am struggling to find much on his background.

According to his death certificate he was 23 when he died, and SDGW apparently (I haven't actually seen the entry) says that he was born and enlisted at Liverpool. Unfortunately I cannot trace a birth certificate in the appropriate date range, and neither does he appear on the 1901 census.

Do any Liverpudlian experts out there know of local war memorials or registers that he may be recorded on or in? (I believe the main war memorial in Liverpool does not record individual names of the fallen?)

Yours hopefully,

Geoff

Dear Geoff,

The reason you are finding difficulty in your research is that there is a discrepency in the name, S.D.G.W gives the name as Lawton, C.W.G.C. gives his name as Lawston this may be where the problem lies. He is buried in Meaulte Millitary Cemetery grave G 8. He lived in the Woolton area of Liverpool, I will try to get an adress for you,

All the best,

Paul.

Paul,

Many thanks for your information. I'm pretty sure LAWTON is the correct name. His medals, SDGW, the Tank Corps Book of Honour and the death certificate all record it that way. The only one out on a limb is the CWGC and I have an 'enquiry' with them at present, awaiting a reply. I suspect it is one of their scanning glitches.

Lawton lies in Meaulte cemetery next to his officer, Lt Holt, who was killed with him when their tank was hit.

Anything further you can add would be much appreciated. Can you tell me the information source that gives Woolton as the area?

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

Your man will be in Liverpool Town Halls remembrance room. All the men from Liverpool killed during the two world wars are named in a special room. If you are ever in Liverpool,pop in and ask to view the room and someone will take you along.

Regards,

Bill

Dear Geoff,

Mr Lawton/Lawston is commerated on the inside War Memorial of St Peters Church, Church Road, Woolton, all this I know because my Cousin is researching the Halewood, Woolton, Gateacre, memorials and I just happened to mention your man to him. there is a paper the Woolton Reporter that was going in the First War there may be a refferance to him in that the Newspaper Archive in Collingdale, London have these, any futher info I come across I will pass on,

Best wishes,

Paul.