Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Capon Harold Richmond

Poohnut

I have discovered some information regarding my great grandfather, but have many questions I would love answers to. The information I have is as follows:

G/11587 Pte Capon Harold Richmond joined The Queens Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) c. Nov 1915; served in France/Flanders with 6th Battalion; transferred to Labour Corps - new number 369864, 285 Area Employment Company. Capon died 04.10.18 and is buried at Villiers-Bretonneux Military Cemetary, Plot XIV, Row AA, Grave 5.

Apparently there ia a 'gap' where no records of men who were wounded was recorded from May-Aug 1917 - at a time when 6th Batt/RWK suffered nearly 400 casualties. I understand men who were wounded often found themselves posted to the Labour Corps, which could explain his transfer. I have yet to visit Kew in the hope his service records have survived, but wonder if anyone knows how I can find out how he was injured and exactly why he was tranferred.

My great grandmother always said Capon died in Amiens, but not as a result of combat. How can I find out exactly how he died?

Lastly, How can I obtain a copy of his death certificate.

Many thanks

Bev

Hi Bev,

Soldiers Died Great War records:

Name: Richmond Capon

Regt etc: Labour Corps

Born: St Mary Cray, Kent

Enlisted: Chatham, Kent

Residence: Luton, Chatham, Kent

Died: 4 Oct 18

How: Died

Theatre: France & Flanders

Notes: Formerly 11587, R.W. Kent Regt,

For some reason he does not appear in the overseas deaths indexes. Unfortunately these indexes are not available to be searched by an individual name. You need to look at a range. If he was recorded under another surname this is going to involve trawling through the pages.

Doug

Hi Bev,

I had a look online at Ancestry and I am sorry to say his service record does not appear to have survived. As you are probably aware the 6th Bn were involved in the fighting at Arras in the middle of 1917 - 3rd May being a particularly bad day for the bttn. The Bttn War Diary contained records of casualties up to about the Somme and then as a general rule fo thumb the practice was ceased due to numbers of casualties. I assume his wound led him to be physically regraded, hence his transfer to the Labour Corps.

Do you have a photo of him by any chance?

Regards,

Jonathan S

Bev

I will PM yoou the information there is on 285 Company.

Not a great deal although the endtry for February 1918 will give you a good idea of the type of work the company did.

Ivor

Bev,

Don't give up hope on his service file turning up. Ancestry doesn't have him, as Jonathan has stated, but they have only posted A-H so he may yet appear.

Best regards,

Matthew

Hi Bev,

I had a look online at Ancestry and I am sorry to say his service record does not appear to have survived. As you are probably aware the 6th Bn were involved in the fighting at Arras in the middle of 1917 - 3rd May being a particularly bad day for the bttn. The Bttn War Diary contained records of casualties up to about the Somme and then as a general rule fo thumb the practice was ceased due to numbers of casualties. I assume his wound led him to be physically regraded, hence his transfer to the Labour Corps.

Do you have a photo of him by any chance?

Regards,

Jonathan S

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the information. I wasn't aware Capon fought at Arras, so I've learnt something new. I do have a photo of him, although it is not a formal one - but I wish it was. I also have a photo of a convalesent home in Sevenoaks which I presume he is in it as it belonged to my great grandmother. They are not on my computer at the moment but I will do it as soon as I can for you to have a look.

Regards

Bev

Bev,

Don't give up hope on his service file turning up. Ancestry doesn't have him, as Jonathan has stated, but they have only posted A-H so he may yet appear.

Best regards,

Matthew

Thank you so much Matthew. I must admit I sighed deeply when I read Jonathan's post as I am trying to hold on - and hope - Capon's records were some of the lucky ones to have survived. Now I can keep my fingers crossed!

Regards

Bev

Bev

I will PM yoou the information there is on 285 Company.

Not a great deal although the endtry for February 1918 will give you a good idea of the type of work the company did.

Ivor

Hi Ivor

I'm really sorry but I deleted the information you sent me by mistake. Would it be too much trouble to ask you to send it again please.

Many thanks

Bev

His death certificate reference from GRO WAR DEATHS ARMY OTHER RANKS (1914 to 1921), p. 3048:

RICHMOND Capon, Pte, 369864 Lab Cps, Year 1918, Vol. M.2, Page 365

You can use this to order his death certificate, though someone else will have to tell you how - I've never done it!

Adrian

His death certificate reference from GRO WAR DEATHS ARMY OTHER RANKS (1914 to 1921), p. 3048:

RICHMOND Capon, Pte, 369864 Lab Cps, Year 1918, Vol. M.2, Page 365

You can use this to order his death certificate, though someone else will have to tell you how - I've never done it!

Adrian

That's great Adrian. Thank you. Do you know by any chance who would know how I can get Capon's death certificate?

Regards

Bev

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the information. I wasn't aware Capon fought at Arras, so I've learnt something new. I do have a photo of him, although it is not a formal one - but I wish it was. I also have a photo of a convalesent home in Sevenoaks which I presume he is in it as it belonged to my great grandmother. They are not on my computer at the moment but I will do it as soon as I can for you to have a look.

Regards

Bev

Me again Jonathan,

I've had a thought. I have a copy of Capon's Medal Card. As this exists do you think his sevice records would have too (she says with fingers crossed!)? Would they have been together?

Bev

That's great Adrian. Thank you. Do you know by any chance who would know how I can get Capon's death certificate?

Regards

Bev

You can order it from the GRO Bev.

Look on the right under 'Order Certificates' then select 'Order overseas certificates'

Doug

Me again Jonathan,

I've had a thought. I have a copy of Capon's Medal Card. As this exists do you think his sevice records would have too (she says with fingers crossed!)? Would they have been together?

Bev

The fact that a Medal Card survived does not mean that the service record also survived. They were not stored 'together'.

Doug

Hi Bev,

Soldiers Died Great War records:

Name: Richmond Capon

Regt etc: Labour Corps

Born: St Mary Cray, Kent

Enlisted: Chatham, Kent

Residence: Luton, Chatham, Kent

Died: 4 Oct 18

How: Died

Theatre: France & Flanders

Notes: Formerly 11587, R.W. Kent Regt,

For some reason he does not appear in the overseas deaths indexes. Unfortunately these indexes are not available to be searched by an individual name. You need to look at a range. If he was recorded under another surname this is going to involve trawling through the pages.

Doug

Hi Doug

I've just noticed Capon was recorded as L/Cpl in the records you provided. I have only ever known him to be a Pte and born in Leeds, Yorkshire and not St. Marys Cray, Kent. Have you got any ideas why these two peices of information are different?

Bev

Hi Bev,

The records may have been confused when they were transcribed. or perhaps he had some family secrets. :D

Here is the image from SDGW:

post-23198-1219658098.jpg

Doug