Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

46th Bn. (Saskatchewan Regiment)

Guest apisani

I am doing research on norwegian enlisted men in WWI and I have found clues that some served the 46th Canadian Infantry Bn. Anyone have a roster or unit history with a list of persons that served in this battalion?

I also try to find out which companies the norwegians served in. Here is a list of names found so far. As you can see 3 of these guys where killed during the first day of the 2nd Battle of Passchendaele. Would be interesting to find out more what happened with these guys that day!

Pte. Sorenson, Alfred. Reg. Nr. 294372, Died 26.10.1917, 2nd Battle of Passchendaele 26 Oct-10 Nov 1917

Pte. Helseth, Nils. Reg. Nr. 1009061, Died 26.10.1917, 2nd Battle of Passchendaele 26 Oct-10 Nov 1917

Pte. Carlson, Fred Nicholas. Reg. Nr. 1010275, Died 04.11.1917, 2nd Battle of Passchendaele 26 Oct-10 Nov 1917

Pte. Olson, Peter. Reg. Nr. 199156, Died 03.09.1918, Drocourt-Quéant 2-3 Sep 1918

Pte. Botten, Ole. Reg. Nr. 256444, Died 02.09.1918, Drocourt-Quéant 2-3 Sep 1918

Thanks,

Antoni

Hi Antoni:

The 46th Battalion didn't publish a history of their Great War service. However, a book about the battalion was published in 1978: 'The Suicide Battalion' written by James L. McWilliams and R. James Steele, published by Hurtig Publishers. The book doesn't contain a nominal roll. None of the names you mentioned are listed in the book's index.

You might want to check the war diaries of the 46th Battalion here.

Garth

Thanks again Garth :D

Just found this info on here....

But do you mean it is not possible to "attach" these men to the companies?

[...The 46th Battalion attacked at dawn on 26 October with four companies, each having four officers and about 131 other ranks. Attacking on a three-company front, with B Company in reserve, they reached their objectives by about 8 am.

The cost was frightful, with many casualties caused by shells from the covering barrage; the Allied guns, slowly settling in the mud, were firing short. A Company reached its objective with three officers and 71 other ranks; C Company, with a captain and 35 other ranks; and D Company, with 30 other ranks led by a lance-corporal. B Company immediately reinforced the positions, while two officers were brought up from headquarters to take over what was left of D Company...]

[...The 46th Battalion took 402 casualties that day, of whom 62 were recorded as "missing" -- many dead or wounded soldiers simply sank into the mud. Reduced to the equivalent of a single understrength company, the 46th took no further part in the battle...]

Regards,

Antoni

But do you mean it is not possible to "attach" these men to the companies?

Hi Antoni:

It would be very difficult to link any of these men to a particular company in the 46th Battalion.

I just spent 20 minutes reading their war diary for October 1917. Appalling conditions and frightening losses.

Thanks for posting the link. I'll check it out.

Garth

I also try to find out which companies the norwegians served in.

Antoni, unless some kind soul wrote a unit history and included nominal rolls broken down by company, you will have to do further, expensive research.

A list of men from the 46th who sailed overseas is obtainable from the National Archives of Canada in Ottawa. However, if your chaps were posted in England or France, then this will be no good. The sailing list is not broken down by company anyways.

Next, you can pour through the Part II Daily Orders, which hopefully will be complete and found at the NAC. This lists comings and goings of men; again may not list by company. (Daily Orders for a month for the unit I am researching are "missing" at the NAC :angry: )

Finally, you can pour through nominal rolls of companies and casualty lists. These are hopefully found at the NAC, and might cover the time periods you are interested in.

It is also possible that all or some of the above records may be found at an archive in Regina or Saskatoon, Saskatchewan; or at the regimental museum/archives of the unit (Saskatchewan Dragoons) that perpetuates the 46th. I am lucky enough to live in Vancouver, home of the 29th Vancouver Btn, so was able to find material I was looking for at the Vancouver City Archives.

So, you are likely faced with a trip to Ottawa and/or Saskatchewan; or hiring a researcher to do your work. Not what you wanted to hear, right? :(

Don't forget that the 46th had thousands of men serve with it. The heavy casualties the battalion suffered mean that the nominal rolls will be heavy also. Let's hope they still exist . . .

Peter in Vancouver

P.S. Thanks for the link to the Dragoons site. First in, Last Out.

I have a nominal roll of the original enlistments into the 46th Bn, but not to hand until the weekend, but it does not shown which company they were in. I can't remember the 46th Bn's number 'block' off hand, but I don't think any of the men in your list would fall into it, so I suspect they won't be on the list. However, other men from Norway may well appear; I have seen a few in different battalion rolls over the years, and from memory there is a CEF grave at Passchendaele which has an inscription in Norwegian on it?

Hello Antoni ...

25 Feb 04

I am in Regina and have an interest in the 46th Battalion [one of my late Grandfather's best friends was with this unit and I need to complete some complimentary work on this unit to tie some things together]

Believe Major Keith Inch (ret) is still the volunteer-curator of the museum at the Regina Armouries.

Perhaps forward a "wish list" and I will see what they have.

Send information to: mercer@accesscomm.ca

Regards

- Dwight Mercer, Regina

PS My background is Icelandic ... so we do feel we have to watch over the Norwegians from time to time. :)

[...from memory there is a CEF grave at Passchendaele which has an inscription in Norwegian on it?...]

Hi,

This is interesting! Anyone know anything more about this? These are the norwegians I know about that died at Passchendaele:

Sorenson, Alfred. Reg.nr: 294372, 46th Bn. (Saskatchewan Regiment), died 26.10.1917

Helseth, Nils. Reg.nr: 1009061, 46th Bn. (Saskatchewan Regiment), died 26.10.1917

Nelson, James. Reg.nr: 439246, 49th Bn. (Alberta Regiment), died 30.10.1917

Ruud, Earl. Reg.nr: 904363, 49th Bn. (Alberta Regiment), died 30.10.1917

Carlson, Fred Nicholas. Reg.nr: 1010275, 46th Bn. (Saskatchewan Regiment), died 04.11.1917

Hermansen, August. Reg.nr: 883225, 31st Bn. (Alberta Regiment), died 06.11.1917

Johnson, Ole. Reg.nr: 931743, 24th Bn. (Quebec Regiment), died 06.11.1917

Farstad, John. Reg.nr: 888316, 28th Bn. (Saskatchewan Regiment), died 06.11.1917

Probably other norwegians were there - and died.

And Peter if it is not too time consuming - could you check the nominal roll of 46th for these guys or other norwegian? Thanks!

Regards

Probably other norwegians were there - and died.

I have found these in my spreadsheets. (They are in no way complete!). You might want to check them up. I presume you know how to look up Attestation papers at:

http://www.archives.ca/02/02010602_e.html

231780 MOBREY, CHARLES born 26 Feb 1888 in Norway.

Policeman with the Royal North West Mounted Police.

Died 30 Oct 1917 while with the 49th (Edmonton) Battalion.

624807 PAULSON, PAUL NICHOLS born 17 Jan 1897 in Christiana,

Norway. Teamster. Died 10 Nov 1917 while with the

7th (British Columbia) Battalion.

Good luck!

Thanks guys!

Lot of goodies here! I have about 700 norwegian names at the moment. Mostly collected from the canadian attestation papers. Anyway - if you find one let me know;-)

Thanks again...

Regards,

Antoni

Found my 46th Bn nominal roll and a few men from Norway on there - will type out their details and post tomorrow.

Thanks Paul! Looking forward to it. :-)

Regards,

Antoni

This extracted from the 46th Bn Canadian Infantry Nominal Roll (which I copied from the Imperial War Museum 12+ years ago):

427438 Pte DITRICKSON, Henry

NOK - William Ditrickson, Christiania, Norway

Born - Norway

Enlisted - Regina 15.7.15

426536 Pte LEWISON, Robert

NOK - C.Tweit, Oyen, Alta

Born - Norway

Enlisted - Regina 7.4.15

426337 Pte WELO, Andrew

NOK - Johannes Welo, Christiania, Norway

Born - Norway

Enlisted - Moose Jaw 14.1.15