Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Bn Sherwood Foresters 21 Aug 1915 - RIP

stevem49

The capture of the communication trench between Hetman Chair and the Ismail Oglu Tepe spur was vital to the success of the attack on 21st August 1915.

32nd Brigade lost their way in the attack and this resulted in difficulties for the 29th Division. 33rd brigade of which the 9th Bn SF were a part got orders to 'take the trench at all costs'. The remnant of the battalion who had already suffered greatly on 9th August went into the attack and for a time all went well. Then the overwhelming firepower of the Turkish troops took its toll.

The CO, 2 I/C died leading their men.

In two days the battalion had lost over half of their strength.

Today and every day they will be remembered.

sm

Hi Steve,

I was in the area of Hetman Chair and later Scimitar Hill on August 21, and paused to reflect and remember those of the Sherwood Foresters and all the other units of both sides involved in the fighting in the region on that day.

Cheers

Bill

Many thanks for that. I will be there in September to pay my respects.

The conditions where so bad that it was the only time ever that Fred Greaves VC broke his tee-total vow and had some Rum.

sm

I'll remember them Steve. And those in support, 7th S Staffs, all but 2 Officers hit and over 300 casualties. Such were the casualties that on 22nd 7 SS formed a composite battalion with 9th SF for a month.

Are you off to Gallipoli independently Steve, or with a tour?

I'll remember them Steve. And those in support, 7th S Staffs, all but 2 Officers hit and over 300 casualties. Such were the casualties that on 22nd 7 SS formed a composite battalion with 9th SF for a month.

Are you off to Gallipoli independently Steve, or with a tour?

Have to go on a tour as i am not very mobile at present. The Doc is giving me painkilling jabs just before I go!

I've just sold another doorstop :D

It was quite moving really as she is the granddaughter of CSM Walter Milward who died of wounds at sea on 29th August 1915. He is mentioned on pages 13/14. As well as laying a wreath to the men at Helles, I will add a cross from her to her Grandfather. He had served as a regular in India and the Boer War with KOYLI.

Steve

Yes I have been very lucky in meeting up with many relatives. Fred Greaves VC, daughter is a wonderful lady and we became close friends.

steve