Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Names on memorials other than WW1

Northern Soul

I see there is a WW2 topic underway in this sub-forum which hasn't yet been snuffed out; I think this is a rather welcome development and (perhaps unwittingly) Chris has highlighted a need that I have considered long overdue.

I am sure I am not the only one of us engaged in the business of identifying names on memorials (or people that may have been overlooked by the authorities) that confines our activities exclusively to WW1. Nearly all the memorials I have "on the go" have their fair share of WW2 casualties and, in some cases, casualties from more recent conflicts. Paradoxically, I have often found the names from these non-WW1 periods to be more difficult to resolve than their WW1 counterparts as there are less formal sources for ID purposes and I am not generally familiar with those that do exist or don't have ready access to them.

It would be really helpful if approval to extend the scope of this sub-forum beyond the bounds of WW1 could be granted so that a bit more knowledge and experience can be shared between us - I don't see why the municipal dead of 1939-45 + are any less worthy of formal research or why open discussion of same should necessarily compromise the raison d'etre of the GWF.

I'd appreciate the thoughts of others on this issue.

Andy.

Andy

Chris gave clearance last year for WW2 names to be but forward through GWF and therefore become part of discussions here. Nothing has changed under the new owners.

We have so far succeeded in getting four WW2 non-coms accepted with one more in process. There is also one WW2 Civilian War Dead in process and we have been able to get one name added to the new Armed Forces Memorial (non-CWGC).

So, I think that meets your requirement.

No, Terry, I'm not sure you have fully grasped what I am proposing.

Under the banner "Cemeteries and Memorials" I would like to see posts accepted that ask for help and allow us to to share experience in identifying men commemorated on the WW2 panels (and others) of civic memorials. This is not the same as submitting names for consideration of official commemoration in cases where they have been inadvertently overlooked.

Andy.

Then that does not fit in with the purpose or rules of this Forum.

I know it doesn't, but I don't think that should preclude me or anyone else from airing it as a suggestion...................or, for that matter, it receiving some measured consideration after a bit of public consultation. Statements like the one above can come over as a bit brusque and dogmatic to be honest.

Sorry, Andy. It wasn't meant to be.

However, the fact is that this is a WW1 forum and always has been. As has been said by many people in the past - There are other outlets for discussion of WW2, Boer War etc etc.

There are no plans to expand this forum away from its core subject though we all accept that discussions can sometimes drift over the borders. Moving emphasis has never been considered either by the former or present owners. In fact, just the opposite has been stated on many occasions.

There are WW2 forums available and they should be the proper place for expertise relating to that subject. However, when the odd WW2 memorial name query has cropped up on the GWF, nobody has shouted in complaint and often the query has been dealt with satisfactorily.

Chris gave clearance last year for WW2 names to be but forward through GWF and therefore become part of discussions here. Nothing has changed under the new owners.

Aaah... now it all makes sense, I couldn't understand why some non-WW1 threads were locked and others allowed to run.

Thanks for starting your thread Andy, you have inadvertently answered the question I asked in an earlier post. :D