Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hugh McIver V.C.Royal Scots

Found this man at Vraucourt copse whilst doing the usual photo's for friends.

I mentioned this to Jean Letaille at Bullecourt & he said that there will be an unveiling of a new memorial to this soldier on saturday.

Has anyone posted this & can re-direct me or give me any more info?

PICT2082.jpg

Name:McIVER, HUGHInitials:HNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Royal ScotsUnit Text:"B" Coy. 2nd Bn.Age:28Date of Death:02/09/1918Service No:12311Awards:V C, M M and BarAdditional information:Son of Hugh and Mary McIver, of 34, Dunlop St., Newton Hallside, Glasgow. Native of Linwood, Paisley.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:I. A. 19.Cemetery:VRAUCOURT COPSE CEMETERY, VAULX-VRAUCOURTCitation:An extract from "The London Gazette," No. 31012, dated 12th Nov., 1918, records the following:-"For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty when employed as a company runner. In spite of heavy artillery and machine-gun fire he carried messages regardless of his own safety. Single-handed he pursued an enemy scout into a machine gun post and having killed six of the garrison captured twenty prisoners with two machine guns. This gallant action enabled the company to advance unchecked. Later he succeeded at great personal risk in stopping the fire of a British Tank which was directed in error against our own troops at close range. By this very gallant action Pte. McIver undoubtedly saved many lives."

Anyone at all????

Sorry, I have no idea, but I would be interested to find out if there were to be a new memorial. My only thought was may be the stone was damaged or fading and it was being replaced?

Yours equally as interested,

Tim

Hi Tim.

The stones fine & the new memorial is going to be in another village.

I'm trying to find out why.His VC action was quite a distance from his cemetery?

More soon,I hope,unless anyone can help???

Dave.

Well,apparently no begger knows about it...

Saturday,14.00 hrs at Courcelles,Somme,hell & gone from his internment site.

Can no one give some info on this?

Have you tried contacting the Commonwealth War Graves Commission?

Mel,it's not a CWGC thing,as far as I know.Bloke has a grave & marker so...the new memorial must be a private one.

Well.We shall be there* at 2pm & I'll post some snaps for you .

Dave.

*all being well & on time :blush:

Got a reply:

Dear Malcolm, I've checked with RHQ RS in the Castle - this memorial is being organised by the Somme residents in France. The Regiment is being represented by an official party going from 1SCOTS and Hugh McIver's family are also attending. It's a French idea being organised by the French. If you want any more detail contact Colonel Dick Mason at RHQ on 0131 310 5016. Regards David

I phoned Col Mason and he said that all he knew was it was in Courcelette and the contact was a

Mr Drouin .

The local Courcelette Tourist Office should have details.

Aye

Malcolm

Found this man at Vraucourt copse whilst doing the usual photo's for friends.

I mentioned this to Jean Letaille at Bullecourt & he said that there will be an unveiling of a new memorial to this soldier on saturday.

Has anyone posted this & can re-direct me or give me any more info?

The ceremony for the unveiling of the memorial for Hugh McIver will be in the village of Courcelles le Compte.

It begins at 15h .... assembly 14.45h. It has been organised by the village of Courcelles le Compte and the Somme Remembrance Association (a local french / british association)

All you need to know about the ceremony can be found at www.somme-remembrance.com

Dawn :) Thiepval Visitor Centre

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make this ceremony, would somebody be able to put some photographs of the event up on the forum?

Yours &c.,

Tim

Malc,thanks for that,mate!

Dawn,thankyou too but is it definately 15.00h?Not that it matters if we turn up an hour early though ;) .

Tim,

all being well,I'll get a load of snaps.Just hope this blimmin rain holds off.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,Mammie.

I'll tell you why my photo's were taken after the event.......

we went to the wrong Courcelles :blush:

Courcelles aux bois,I think we ended up at......on the blimmin Somme & a bit too far away to do a U turn.

Ah well.

Dave.