Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Absent Voters List

dundeesown

Hi can any pals help me ? I`ve just discovered the AVL for Dundee I think the only one in Scotland going by the posts on the forum, but to say I was gutted just don`t cover it,I`m Looking for my Grandfathers reg + army nos,found him in the lists but it says unknown for Reg.and nos does anyone know why this would be? Help.

from down at the mouth Gary. :(

Gary,

Sad to find the AVL and not get any information, did you find all three AVLs?, Autumn 1918, Spring 1919 and Autumn 1919?.

Regards Charles

Yip I think I got them all I thought he may have been a P.O.W.?

Gary

Not all men registered to vote and not all men were entitled to vote, even at the 1918 election. It may also be possible that he was to young to vote, even if he was in the army.

Terry Reeves

Not all men registered to vote and not all men were entitled to vote, even at the 1918 election. It may also be possible that he was to young to vote, even if he was in the army.

Terry Reeves

Hi Terry

He was 21 or 22 in 1918 I just thought it strange reg and Nos. not on the AVL when his name and address is, quite a few listed as Reg and No..unknown.

gary.

Gary

That is not unusual by any means. Unfortunately, the impression is often given that AVLs are the solution to the number and regiment difficulty. That is simply not the case. In my home town, there is no such thing as a separate AVL list, the names are simply included in the normal electoral register and annotated "N or M" for Naval or Military voter with no further details.

TR

Hi Terry

He was 21 or 22 in 1918 I just thought it strange reg and Nos. not on the AVL when his name and address is, quite a few listed as Reg and No..unknown.

gary.

In 1918, he may not have qualified for a vote until February and he would not have registered until after that.

In 1918, he may not have qualified for a vote until February and he would not have registered until after that.

Thanks for all the input lads the hunt goes on.

gary