Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irwin's Infantry Officer, 1914-1918: the record of service as a yo

Lincolnsreg

Dear all,

I'm seeking Irwin's: Infantry Officer, 1914-1918: the record of service as a young officer in the first World War, published in 1942. The piece is out of print now and I would love to find an example - I am looking for any references to the 2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment, with who he served in 1917-1918.

I would be grateful if any has a copy of this book or knows where I can find it to perhaps pass on details?

Many thanks,

Dave

^_^

ABE Books has a couple of examples. The only description that gets into contents indicates that it is Second World War though.

"INFANTRY OFFICER - A Personal Record"

Irwin, Anthony Stuart

Batsford London 1943

Its also in a compendium called "Youth at War" with two other narratives - whether abridged I know not.

Hi,

I've also seen the publication you refer to. The particular one I'm after is by Noel Mackintosh Stuart Irwin, I believe the father of the later author.

Cheers for your reply all the same!

Dave

Dave

Your are quite right in saying that A S Irwin was the son of N M S Irwin. His Batsford Infantry Officer is an excellent account of the 1940 campaign in France. His father was actually Essex Regiment, although he may have been attached to the Lincolns at some stage. He won the first MC gained by his regiment, as well as three DSOs and the Croix de Guerre. He comanded 4th Division during the 1940 campaign and then IV Corps in Burma, retirning at a Lt Gen in 1948.

I wonder though whether you are confusing him with his son since I doubt whether he would have had the time to write a book on his 14-18 experiences during the early part of WW2. I am, however, more than happy to be proved wrong. If I am I would be as keen as you to get hold of a copy of the book (I have his son's).

Incidently, A S Irwin also won the Essexs Regiment's first MC of WW2.

Charles M

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your reply. He truly was a grand old soldier wasn't he? Such a vast military career! After serving with the Essex Regiment he was transferred to the 2nd Lincolns as their commanding officer in August 1917, where he remained until February 1918 after which he took command of the 1st Battalion Lincolns (in the same Brigade). He stayed with these for the remainder of the war. A good breakdown to his career is at:

http://www.unithistories.com/officers/Army_officers_I01.html

I'm sometimes a little unsure as to the accuracy of some of these websites, but the fact is confirmed by the original battalion war diaries. It's such a rare thing to find good personal accounts - and I'm always seeking them for my Grandfather's unit. I am however uncertain as to whether the book was first published in 1942 or not - perhaps it was written pre-war and then delayed? There was another edition released in the 70s also, but unfortunately it's just so rare to get hold of. Should I be successful in my search I shall pass on any information.

Cheers,

Dave

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I've also seen the publication you refer to. The particular one I'm after is by Noel Mackintosh Stuart Irwin, I believe the father of the later author.

Cheers for your reply all the same!

Dave

I read this correspondence on the forum and have joined in order to reply to you! I am the daughter of Anthony Irwin, granddaughter of Noel. There is an unpublished booklet which we have in the family summarizing some of my grand-father's WWI diaries, also called Infantry Officer. I can let you have a photostat copy if you would like to post me your address on the forum.

Sarah Russell

• 4 years later...
Guest John Lisle

Sarah,

I hope that you are still watching this forum as I would also like to get in touch with you about your father memoirs.

Please send me a PM if you see this.

John Lisle.

Nashua, New Hampshire

If anyone else knows how to contact Sarah, a PM would be appreciated as she is not currently accepting PMs

thanks,

• 6 years later...

Picking up a very old thread here. Noel Irwin would appear to have been the Captain of the Company that my Great Great Uncle, Herbert Guiver, served with in the 2nd Essex. When Herbert died Captain Irwin wrote to his widow describing him as “one of my keenest non-commissioned officers”. I wonder if anyone could tell me which Company of the 2nd Essex Captain Irwin commanded - as I’ve always wondered with which Company my Great Great Uncle served.

Thank you.

James