Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold Project

Terry Denham

I have just been informed that our drive to get official funding from the UK government looks like it has succeeded. Today, we were told that funding will be forthcoming subject to certain paperwork being completed and accepted.

I will not go into detail as yet but this is great news for the volunteers who have helped us get to this stage. It means that there should be no financial obstacle to getting as many uncommemorated men accepted as possible.

More news in due course.

Great news, Terry. I know that your/GWF's campaign has been conducted with tenacity and always with tact. And the approach seems to have paid off.

Congrats to you and the IFTC team of volunteers.

Jim

And the approach seems to have paid off.

I know something of Terry's long negotiations here. He would never blow his own trumpet but I am reminded that someone famously said "Never underestimate the determination of a quiet man".

It's going to be one heck of a boost for us volunteers. And, of course, we're always looking for new members with a bit of time on their hands to help out. Contact me if you're interested.

John

This is really excellent news. Taxpayer's money being well spent.

Jimmy

Terry

:D brilliant news

Chris

I am impressed!

Does that mean none of us will ever have to pay National Archive, D.C costs etc when having a non com commemorated?

My peer John Morecombe will be ever so pleased to get such a large cheque from her majesty! I wonder if he will also get that well deserved honorary Lieutenancy in the Royal Marines too?

Joking aside, WELL DONE!

Terry...............I don't know how you managed this feat, but the next time we meet, I will stand an evening's worth of drinks. Magnificent result.

• 3 months later...

Terry

has there been any further developments with funding as I will soon be bankrupt

Chris

Im only letting the children eat 3 times a week now

Im only letting the children eat 3 times a week now

CHILDREN! you luck begger - I had to sell mine last year :o

Perhaps we should move to Aussie or NZ, they pay all the costs there once a case is approved.

Terry

so MOD are saying they want nothing to do with post discharge cases?

Chris

I'm looking forward to my large cheque :D

Do we get paid for time as well as costs?

Chance will be a fine thing! :angry:

No. Certainly not. I don't see how you draw that conclusion.

I have applied on behalf of the In From the Cold Project for a grant to cover its work in searching the GRO/SDGW lists. These consist only of in-service names. I have not applied for anything else.

The specifications of our task, its processes and the expected end results were quite specific in the submission we had to make. The grant (if any) will be to meet those requirements and not any other purpose. The restrictions on the use of any monies forthcoming are quite tight and I shall be personally responsible for ensuring that they are not used for any other purpose than that for which they were requested/granted - or I shall be taking a holiday at the expense of Her Majesty!

At no stage has anyone ever said that any grant or funding received will be available for any other purpose. It is solely to fund the purchase of DCs by IFCP to prove their cases. Surely, nobody expected anything else. It has been hard enough over the past year and a half getting this far just for IFCP without trying to expand it to all and sundry. Being nice to politicians grates after a while!

We have a target date of 2012 to finish (if we get the funding). If I have enough energy then, I am quite happy to try to push for an extension to undertake any allied project.

Terry

I understand the remit that you are bound by & also respect it - however I was putting several cases on hold pending you giving the full details.

Many of the IFCP part 2 entries that I was looking will now be abandoned due the fact that several local authorities (Medway & Jersey - Channel Islands - hang your heads in shame) want big bucks just to check their records & will not refund the money if there is no trace.

So that is were I stand - an independent researcher with very limited resources

A very sad day for me indeed

Chris

Chris

That is not quite the position.

If you or anyone finds a UK in-service death possible case and passes it to IFCP (as you have done with a couple in recent days), it will be absorbed into the Project's list and a DC obtained.

In theory, any in-service cases will be found by IFCP's volunteers but we cannot guarantee 100% accuracy in searching and so any stray names from elsewhere will be welcome. It is only post-discharge cases which we cannot fund.

I say all this with no guarantee that any cash will be forthcoming yet! We should have heard by now but a change of minister in the middle has not helped.

Chris

The difference with the post discharge cases (and the inherent difficulty, as I see it), is that it can never be a "one off" project that can be funded as we hope IFCP will be. Uncommemorated men will be found for many years to come as family or local historians and others carry out their own research projects.

The only practical way forward would be for MoD to waive (or more likely, refund) the cost of acquiring a death certificate in certain circumstances. Such a change in policy would surely require some degree of organised political lobbying of the Secretary of State. Perhaps interested individuals, such as yourself, should start the ball rolling by writing to their own MPs?

John