Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Black Watch Jan-Mar 1915

djcrtoye

Has any body got a copy of the above diary as I would like to see it. The reason is that I'm trying to find out what happened during that period of time, because one of my men on my database died of woounds on 30 March 1915. He was only 16 when he died.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

If you let me know who you are looking for I will see what I can turn up

Regards

Fred

Thanks for your reply. His name is Robert McClive 32509. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi there,

Robert McClives number is actually 3/2509 not 32509, a small point but it may make a difference at some later point.

Robert was never in the published wounded or hospital lists prior to being killed.

There is no specific reference relating to him in the 2nd's War Diary.

Hope the following helps you.

Kind regards

Fred

WAR DIARY for March 15

At VIELLE CHAPELLE.

Two companies went into B subsection of trenches on RUE DE BOIS.

Two companies went into C subsection of trenches on RUE DE BOIS.

Lieut. D.C. HAMILTON JOHNSTONE wounded. 2 men wounded.

Lt. HAMILTON-JOHNSTONE wounded.

1 man killed. 2 men wounded.

2 men wounded.

1 man killed. 6 men wounded.

10 men wounded.

Major H.H. SUTHERLAND wounded. 2 men killed. 7 wounded.

Major SUTHERLAND wounded.

1 killed.

7.30.a.m.

TRENCHES, RUE-DE-BOIS

Artillery bombardment by artillery of MEERUT and LAHORE divisions preparatory to attack by MEERUT division.

Infantry assaulted German trenches. The 2nd. Battn. The Black Watch did not take part in the assault, being ordered to hold their positions along the RUE DE BOIS in the area known as "PORT ARTHUR", "CRESCENT" and "ORCHARD". The assaulting troops passed through the Black Watch companies in PORT ARTHUR.

At 9.a.m. reports were received that a part of the enemies lines had not been assaulted, owing to the Leicesters and Garhwals attack having diverged. This part of the enemies lines was not carried until 5.p.m.

From the onset of the British bombardment and continuing more or less throughout the day, the enemy shelled the old British line apparently searching for reinforcements. No counter attack was made by them. By night patrols were sent out which located the point to which the British had advanced.

KILLED ­ 2nd. Lieut. B.T. HOLLAND.

11 N.C.O.'s and men.

WOUNDED ­ Lieut. A.C. DENISON.

Lieut. C.D. GILMOUR.

33 N.C.O.'s and men.

RUE-DE-BOIS

During the night 10/11 endeavoured to connect old trenches with those won but enemy discovered and **** in one working party.

Throughout the 11th the enemy shelled our old lines.

KILLED ­ 9 N.C.O.'s and men.

WOUNDED ­ Lieut. N. McMICKING

27 N.C.O.'S and men

5.30.a.m. Enemy made a counter attack, one part of which ­ apparently the extreme left ­ came against the CRESCENT post held by No.2 Coy. 2nd. Black Watch. Some of the enemy got into an old trench about 80 to 100 yards in front but could make no headway and on being attacked on flank by a bombing party they surrendered to the number of 2 officers and 70 men ­ 22 dead and 5 wounded was found in the trench which they had gained. A number who had not come so far attempted to retire during the day and some 40 were shot down. It is certain that they had also considerable losses during the first assault but no accurate estimate could be made.

Throughout theday the enemy shelled PORT ARTHUR and RUE-DE-BOIS.

KILLED ­ LT. K.R. GILROY

2LT. W. GEORGE

9 N.C.O.'S and men

WOUNDED ­ CAPT. H.F.F. MURRAY and 21 N.C.O.'s and men.

Heavy shelling, a good deal of which was ranged too far over RUE-DE-BOIS.

Wounded 10 N.C.O.'s and men.

a.m. Left trenches and after standing to arms marched to LACOUTURE.

KILLED 1 N.C.O and men.

WOUNDED 5 N.C.O.'s and men.

Battalion relieve and moved to La Couture.

15.3.15 ­ 22.3.15

In billets at PARADIS.

Capt. C.G.S. MacLEOD joined with a draft of 75 N.C.O and men.

The following officers joined on the dates stated,

2LT. P.C. CAMPBELL. 4th. Battalion A & S Highlanders.

2LT. T.G.F. COCHRANE. 3rd. Battalion The Black Watch.

2LT. H. PLUNKETT. 3rd. Battalion The Black Watch.

CAPT. H.E.D. ORR-EWING 2nd. Battalion The Black Watch. This officer was left in command of the depot at BAREILLY, INDIA, when the Battalion was mobilised.

22.3.15 ­ 23.3.15

Marched to billets at VIELLE CHAPELLE.

All 4 coys of the Bn went into trenches north of NEUVE CHAPELLE. These were near our lines marking the net gain in this quarter after the operations of the 10 ­ 12 March. A great deal had to be done in the way of wiring and digging but the enemy were similarly employed and did nothing to impede our work. The enemy artillery, apparently observing from the rising ground from AUBERS to behind the BOIS DE BIEZ daily shelled roads and houses in the rear of British positions. Incendiary shell was used, and the farm in which section ( also Bn. ) headquarters was situated was burnt. On the 30th. the house containing the telephone exchange was also set fire to.

Reinforcements. The following joined the Bn.

MAJOR. A.G. WAUCHOPE. D.S.O. 2nd Bn.

MAJOR. A.H.C. SUTHERLAND " "

2 LT. D. EGLINGTON from Officers Training School.

2 LT. P.G. EGERTON. 3rd. Bn. The Black Watch.

Joined - Sergeant Major J. Johnston and 51 N.C.O.'s and men.

23.3.15 ­ 30.3.15

Casualties N.C.O.'s and men -

23rd. KILLED nil WOUNDED 2

24th. " " " 2

25th. " 3 " 2

26th. " nil " 3

27th. " " " nil

28th. " " " nil

Thanks for reply. The reason I gave you the serial number that way because when enetered like that it gives me date instead of his number in my spreadsheet. Thanks for the diary entries it gives me a feel of what was happening during March 1915.

Thanks.