Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recruiting in Swansea area

Chris_Baker

A gent by the name of Thomas Arthur Rea was apparently involved in recruiting in the Swansea area. Has anyone come across this name? I've not managed to find any likely candidates in medals rolls or online London Gazette. Any info or ideas welcome.

I agree Bernard Lewis would be the man for this,

Gaz

Sorry Chris but I've not come across that name. A chap called Bertie Perkins was active for the Swansea Battalion. Sgt. Loveridge, DCM, was also active as was local businessman Col. J.R. Wright. There would have been others but Rea is not a name that I recognise in this or any Swansea context.

SmilingSixth might be worth a PM - he's looking at the 6th Welsh - also a Swansea unit.

Bernard

• 4 months later...
A gent by the name of Thomas Arthur Rea was apparently involved in recruiting in the Swansea area. Has anyone come across this name? I've not managed to find any likely candidates in medals rolls or online London Gazette. Any info or ideas welcome.

Chris,

Only just found your post sorry. alas work just takes up far to much of my time.

As far as 6th Welsh goes this is all I could find.

RAE, Frederick Charles, 2233/265804, Pte, “C” coy (Swansea), entitled to MM, December 1916. Spelt on medal 'RAY'.

Lt Col. Frisby batman.

From 6th Welsh (TF) in France, page 98 + 99 “When the armistices was signed Col. Frisby was the only officer left who had landed with the battalion as an officer. Ray, his little servant, backed him up at High Wood, and pelted bombs at the oncoming Bosche. He, happily survived, was decorated and promoted to the rank of Sgt. “

Hopes this helps.

Simon