Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Hampshires

priv

Hello all,

I have recently joined this forum and have to say that I have found reading the members posts most interesting.

I have noticed on a couple of occasions that there is a Pal who is vey knowledgable on the Hampshires. I have a group of medals to the Hampshires which I am currently researching (MIC etc.). They consist of QSA (5Bar), 14 Star (bar to be confirmed hopefully), BWM, Vic and LSGC. All named to 5680 P.J. Sullivan - ranks range from L/Cpl to Sjt.

This fellow was obviously a career soldier and per the Star was in the 1st Battalion. I note from the main site that the 1st Hamps were at Le Cateau, had a nightmare on the 1st July and continued being involved in most major engagements until the end of the war. Can anyone with any further info or access to Battalion diaries fill me in any further on the likelehood of this man's involvement with the 1st Battalion throughout the war or any specific information on him.

Many thanks - any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

James

James,

Welcome to the forum. I'm very envious of your acquisition.

I assume from your comments that you already have the MIC and Medal Roll entries for him? If you have access to the National Archives do you know whether his service record has survived? You could also have a look for his previous military service in South Africa via the Queen's South Africa Medal Roll for example. May also be worth having a look at the Hampshire records in WO96 for the period 1876 - 1914.

The Hampshire Regimental Journal is another source that you can try. Unfortunately, there is no overall index, which includes monthly casualty lists, so locating information may be a bit of a laborious exercise. I am currently pulling together a database of entries so will have a look to see if there is any mention of him.

One problem with the Hampshire's is that the Part II Daily Orders were destroyed so that the very useful information they contained is no longer available. This would include things like the arrival of drafts, dates and numbers of casualties, award of honours, changes in officers within a Battalion, etc.

Marc

Marc,

Many thanks for keeping en eye out for anything you can find.

I am currently getting the resarch from the PRO for MIC,QSA and any further details that can be obtained ie service records if they survived.

I have had hese medals for a while and along with an interesting pair to the West Somerset Yeomanry !!, I am getting the research done with a view to selling them. My collection has veered towards the HAC over recent years so I am slimming down what I currently hold. Re Sullivan's they are all unmounted , with original ribbons (ex 14 Star) and in NEF to Mint. They had just been stored away and obviously forgotten about - very sad really.

Are you an avid collector and would you be interested in them ? I would prefer to sell them to a Hamshire Collector so if you are not interested, do you know anyone who would be ? Valued from 2 separate dealers at £ 460 plus depending on what the research throws up and whether there is Bar entitlement.

Do let me know if you are interested. I in turn will let you have anything of interest that the research throws up.

Many thanks

James

James,

Although I have a few items I would not class myself as an avid Hampshire Regt collector.

If you are looking to sell the medals you may wish to place a separate thread in the Sales, Wants and Swaps section which is probably more relevant. You will need to read the guidelines for this area though before doing so.

Marc

• 14 years later...

Hello.

I know this is an old post but I am researching this fellow as part of my family - he was my g grandfather's brother. Did you take any photos of the medals that I could have for the family tree? Any other information you could give me would be gratefully received. I did try to message you but apparently I can't do that, as I've just registered. 

Many thanks for any information you might be able to give.

Hi EliG,

Welcome to the forum.

Patrick has a set of service papers on Findmypast - link. They should also be available on Ancestry. He has some PoW records which you can link to by using the 'PA' and 'R' numbers shown on this index card. The Battalion and Brigade HQ war diaries are here and here at the National Archives, or here and here on Ancestry.

Regards

Chris 

Chris, thanks so much for such an informed response, I'll investigate all those links. I had just found the POW records and am collecting the pages of where he was held. It's all very interesting. Until recently I knew very little about WW1 – I hadn't realised that so many of my relatives had fought in it. Unfortunately my great grandfather's (Patrick's brother) records don't seem to be at the grandeguerre site but we're lucky that Patrick's are.

Thanks again for taking the time for giving me such a detailed answer.

Merry Christmas to you!

Eli