Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy service numbers

purley

I have been processing the Reading Absent Voters list for 1923 and this gives names, addresses and service details.

All the Royal Navy and Royal Marine personnel have a number preceded by a prefix - what do these signify?

So far I have found J M Po K 2L L SS DM Ch E Ply

Are the numbers all in one series with varying prefixes or does each prefix signify a separate number series?

John.chapman@purley.eu

John, further to Joseph's info in PRO ;

Number prefixes work - for ;

Chatham CH - hence CH/ 123456

Portsmouth P - hence P/ 123456

Plymouth (Devonport) D D/ 123456

And could be CH/J 12345 for Seaman Class - P/K 12345 for Stoker. Etc.

Sadsac

I have a man with a Z prefix (joined in 1918). I can't find that listed on the PRO link?

For Royal Marines:

Ch for Chatham

Ply for Plymouth

Po for Chatham

The letter prefixes for originating home port did not become part of the Navy's Official Number system until after 1923.

Charles,

Sorry for the delay replying - not by the computer! He joined the Volunteer Reserves.

Bob

He joined the Volunteer Reserves.

His service number would have an additional letter in front to designate what part of the country his RNVR unit was allocated to; this has been left off of the UKNA listings of RND personnel.

Here is the UKNA guide to their numbering:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...?sLeafletID=152

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

John,

According to the list referenced above

E is the RNVR prefix for the Birmingham Electrical Volunteers. It can also be used in service numbers for the Royal Naval Reserve (then a completely different organisation).

Thanks, Per Ardua..., I know he was in training at Bristol, so am I right in thinking that the Z prefix was simply for RNVR men who joined during the war, with no reference to their trade?

Bob.

If he was in the Bristol Division his service number should have been BZ followed by the number. It meant that he was serving with a division and could be allocated to general duties (which ended as mostly sea service or the RND); before the early days of the war it would have been just B and then a company designation, but that system was overloaded by the number of recruits.

RNVR numbers are not trade specific, the variation from a divisional number is for particular services. For example there could be the followin M prefixes in the RNVR:

M or MZ Mersey Division

MB Motor Boat Section

MC Mine Clearance Service

• 10 years later...

My Dad's service number started with DN, what does that mean.  I am no able to find any of his records as of yet so basically starting from scratch.

Teresa

Welcome to the GWF.

There is no such 'DN' prefix or suffix to RN Official Numbers. Could it be 'DA'? It would help give as much detail (name, p.o.b./d.o.b.) as possible to help us trace him.