Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22nd London Regiment

jackie57@blueyonder.co.uk

Information required please - my great uncle 681095 Sgt A E Riddy DCM, MM 22nd London Regiment lies within the CWG Cemetery at Aubers Ridge. Date of death 18th October 1918 aged 27yrs. So far I have established that he was awarded the DCM whilst in action at Messines in 1917. He apparently was awarded the MM whilst in action at the battle of Lille in 1918.

I am desperately trying to find any information about the 22nd London Regiment in action around the outskirts of Lille/Armentieres or Aubers area in October 1918 due to the date of my uncle's death. Can anyone assist in providing information as to where/how this brave soldier met his death.

His brother, Charles Riddy, a Sgt of A company 2nd btn East Surrey Regiment was killed in action (I believe) on Valentines Day 1915 and lies at Bedford House Cemetery, Ypres.

Any information would be most gratefully received.

Jackie & Tim

Here is his DCM citation:

London Gazette 16-8-1917

681095 Cpl. A. E. Riddy, Lond. R., attd. T.M. Bty.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during an attack. He made a daring personal reconnaissance, returning through heavy fire to lead his team and ammunition party direct to their objective, thereby causing a defence to be instantly established. His coolness and initiative were the direct cause of his team reaching their objective without casualties.

and MM

London Gazette 13-3-1919

681095 Sjt. Riddy, D.C.M., A. E., 22nd Bn (Walworth).

Ellie

JnT

You will need a look at the War Diary for 22 Londons at Kew (unless someone here has parts of it they might share). There are two. For the period Sept 1918 to May 1919 WO95/2732,and for the period Mar 1915 to Aug 1918 WO95/2743.

You could pay 8.50 for 10 pages by ordering on the Catalogue's Digital Express Service:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue

It is difficult to say how many days you will get in the 10 pages,but you will certainly get from Oct 1 to 18. I would suggest that you asked for Oct 20 (just in case there is an entry concerning your G/Uncle) and worked backwards 10 pages from there. You would then at least get the feel of his life on the front line,and certainly a description of where,when and what they were up to. You may,of course,be able to visit the place and read all of his service time at the front.

Sotonmate

Thank you to all who have replied so far about this request for information. It is good to be able to start to piece together what happened to them after all this time. Your help is much appreciated.

Jackie & Tim

Try a post on the UNIT AND FORMATIONS section of this forum, someone may have some information that has perhaps not seen this post.

Regards

Brett