Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Royal Fusilier

Guest jasimbo

Hi Folks,

I'm researching the movements of 2 Great Uncles who were killed in the Great War and struggling to get going with the first. His details from his Medal Card are shown below but I'm getting into a confusing mire between the different London Regiments which is causing problems in identifying his Division. In addition to the details below I have established through the family that he was not in the TA and was most likely a conscript or a volunteer.

I have read loads on the Internet and am comming to the opinion that he was most likely in the 29th Division at Beaumont-Hamel just prior to the big push on 1st July, 1916.

I would be grateful for any further information in particular confirmation of his Division.

PVTe Wilfred Gaisford Smith, 2/R Fus.

Regtl No. GS(?) 16387

Theatre of War France

Date of Entry 3/8/15

Pres Dead 3/7/16

Many Thanks,

Welcome to the forum!

From CWGC:

SMITH

Initials: W G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 03/07/1916

Service No: G/16387

Additional information: Son of Robert Guisford Smith, and Mary Jane Smith, of "Woodlands," Bowes Rd., New Southgate, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. D. 9.

Cemetery: OVILLERS MILITARY CEMETERY

2nd Bn R F was in 29th Div according to The Long Long Trail and he looks to have been a casualty of the early Somme battle.

Ian

Jasmith

2RF were part of 86 Brigade of 29 Division who were part of VIII Corps,whose task on 1 July 1916 was to advance through the valley in which Beaumont Hamel sat and then climb up onto Beaucourt Spur to attack the German second line.

Prior to lift off the RE were to explode a mine (40,000lbs Ammonal) under one of the German defensive position called Hawthorn Redoubt.which was in front of Beaumont Hamel and facing our lines. This coupled with a creeping Artillery barrage immediately after the mine had detonated would allow our troops to get forward, pin down the German reinforcements into their back areas,and allow us to reach the objectives.

It didn't work out and we had heavy losses in both 29 Div and it's supporting 4 and 31 Divs. Bearing in mind that pre-1 July Artillery bombardments lasted for many days,and then creeping barrages on the day,we didn't cut out enough of the opposition's defences,and they emerged from their deep lairs to cut our troops down.

86 Bde were positioned slightly to the west of Hawthorn Redoubt at the start of the battle,so they would have had Auchonvillers half a mile behind them and more to the westward.

It probably can't be known exactly on which day your subject was killed,it is likely that he was declared dead on the 3rd July at which time a roll-call was made for the first time since the battle began.

Sotonmate