Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Range taking for indirect fire while under fire in 1914

cahoehler

. . . Professor of Mathematics at Woolwich. . .

Nigel

So the Mathematics was his day job and not the Divinity.

I also confused him wth Benjamin Robins who invented the ballistic pendulum.

Bashforth invented the chronograph (and still the source of pleasure to riflemen and others) but in 150 years there have great changes to the screens and the measuring of the time interval.

. . . and the Ballistic Coefficient, Sectional Density and Form Factor.

I can upload some other images if there is an interest and blanket approval to go outside WW1.

Carl

Great photograph. Do you know when and where? I would be very interested to see any other pictures you have of ballistic tests.

Regards

TonyE

. . . This older generation of guns were not better than 13 and 18 pr! . . .

What about that illustrious 4.7-inch and the good ol' 6-inch?

Would that dainty old mekometer with the shortish base have in fact been able to determine an accurate (extended) range?

This 6-inch gun is on Scott's WW1 carriage that had been built at Chatham and was used for :huh:cross-channel :huh: fire

Carl

. . . when and where? . . .

Regards

TonyE

Tony

Valcartier (Canada) (early?) WW1 - but sadly due to the ephemeral nature of the internet, I have never been able to find the web site again (although I am sure this is an official (ie Canadian government archives) source.

Another view

Carl

Tony

Timing equipment - again WW2 with no details except the photo number

I have some other inter-war images somewhere on my PC.

I can also scan images from Elements of ordnance and Elements of ammunition and from an original copy of the Du Pont charts (all being products of wasteful and misspent youth).

Carl

One of those two pictures appears to have been reversed at some point - note any detail (such as the distinctive tree in the distance on the left side of the first picture), and it's on the opposite side of the next...

One of those two pictures appears to have been reversed at some point . . .

Andrew

That too was my first impression on saving the images but you will note there are three lanes on the range and that one image has 'volunteers' fixing the screens while the gun is being . . .

None of this namby-pamby business about standing away from the firing line.

Carl

That too was my first impression on saving the images but you will note there are three lanes on the range and that one image has 'volunteers' fixing the screens while the gun is being . . .

Nooo, one's definately been reversed - the tree in the distance is the dead give away, the same sandbags in reverse on both, the same odd shaped pieces of wood to the right and left respectively of both guns, the patterning in the gravel to the front right/left of both guns - also, the loop hole on the gun itself changes sides...

Nooo, one's definately been reversed . . .

Andrew

One of the images has indeed been flipped horizontally BUT there are THREE gunners (plus all the gunners working on the screens) in this horizontally flipped image and TWO gunners in the other image.

And now we need a gunner and / or gun expert to tell us which image has the correct orientation and maybe even identify the gun.

I will post an enlarged clip with the brightness/contrast enhanced

Carl

I never said it was the same image reversed, just that one had been reversed - I could see it was quite different otherwise ;) .

And if I've got this right...

What about that illustrious 4.7-inch and the good ol' 6-inch?

Would that dainty old mekometer with the shortish base have in fact been able to determine an accurate (extended) range?

This 6-inch gun is on Scott's WW1 carriage that had been built at Chatham and was used for :huh:cross-channel :huh: fire

Barrel looks suspiciously like that on 6-in Mk 19. Max elevation 38 degrees, max range just over 17 km. Presumably the channel was shrunk.

Mk 5 4.7 gave 16500 yds. In hot and high conditions, with a tail wind and a fairly new barrel then 18000 might have been squeezed. However, the 4.7 on Scott carriage used in SA gave 10000 yds

With most rangefinders (all if optical?) accuracy decreases with range. Meko used subtension with a very short base, for long distances and the small angles involved even small errors in the base measurement could put you in Tokyo.

Nigel

So the Mathematics was his day job and not the Divinity.

I also confused him wth Benjamin Robins who invented the ballistic pendulum.

Bashforth invented the chronograph (and still the source of pleasure to riflemen and others) but in 150 years there have great changes to the screens and the measuring of the time interval.

. . . and the Ballistic Coefficient, Sectional Density and Form Factor.

I can upload some other images if there is an interest and blanket approval to go outside WW1.

My site says he was 'Professor of Applied Mathematics' and at the 'Artillery Advanced Course', ie not RMA. Don't know how long he held this posiiton and if he held others. I've also a vague memory of him being somewhere else, Cambridge? It does seem as if he did a fair amount of research. All sounds to me like a full time job.

Interesting photo, obviously not a research range or producing range and accuracy data. The 3 firing positions being readied simultaneously are a giveaway, it's obviously a calibration range. Makes me wonder if it might be in France. Of course this method wasn't notably accurate or consistent but that didn't reveal itself until Doppler radars took over in the 1960s or so when they started getting results that could be related to the observed fire calibration method and realised it was the old instrumentation methods that had caused 50 years of puzzlement.

Andrew

One of the images has indeed been flipped horizontally BUT there are THREE gunners (plus all the gunners working on the screens) in this horizontally flipped image and TWO gunners in the other image.

And now we need a gunner and / or gun expert to tell us which image has the correct orientation and maybe even identify the gun.

This one is reversed. I can see the vertical handle of thee lever breech mechanism on the right, it should be on the left. The high handwheel, side on, should be on the right.

. . . the 4.7 on Scott carriage used in SA gave 10000 yds . . .

Nigel

Thanks for the info.

Does this explain why the 4.7-inch guns being offloaded at Cape Helles (as shown in record H10292 at the Australian War Memorial) were not "covered with British Army soldiers' overcoats to hide them from the enemy" but were covered in shame and embarassment because they were in fact expecting 4.7-inch guns on the new, lighter and improved carriages that Scott had built in March 1900 at the Durban Workshops of the Natal Government Railways (image to follow).

Carl

Nigel

One of the four new, lighter and improved carriages that Scott had built in March 1900 on test on a Durban beach.

Somewhat different to the two Woolwich versions.

This image was scanned from Crowe's The commission of the "HMS Terrible".

Carl

Ah, the saga of the 4.7, that's what you get when the British media gets involved.

After the Boer War 4.7 took on a life of its own even though the army was working towards the new 60 pr. IIRC Parliament actually legislated for the TF to have 4.7!