Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you identify the regiment of this soldier

potty5

Can anyone help me in some medals I have acquired. Some letters state he was in the Royal Scots Guards but his medals state "1 DNS" there is also a 1st R. Dragoons embrodiered card with the WW1 Mons trio. Can you identify what regiment he is serving in from the collar badge as I can't quite make out shoulder one. Thanks very much, Adele Taylor

post-2282-1218449237.jpg

Adele,

Some confusions of nomenclature have crept in. There is no "Royal Scots Guards" - it would be the "Royal Scots Greys" (2nd Dragoons). The 1st (Royal) Dragoons (later to become part of the Blues and Royals in 1969) are listed thus on the main site:

1st (Royal) Dragoons: August 1914 : in Potchefstroom, South Africa. Moved to England, landing 19 September 1914.

19 September 1914 : attached to 6th Cavalry Brigade, 3rd Cavalry Division. Follow the divisional history from the site for their war record.

However, the photo you have here is of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps (RAOC - which is what the shoulder title says) . Certainly post-war, looks mid-late Twenties.

Adele

AOC became RAOC in 1918,so as S'Yeoman says it looks later than WW1.

I am am bit puzzled by the 1 DNS,not readily decipherable but I am sure that someone here will know !

Can you post exactly what it says on the rim of the medals,his name would be particularly useful in any quest.

Sotonmate

1 DNS sounds good for a 1st Dragoons abbreviation, I guess. If it's him in the picture, I wonder if he was transferred to the RAOC as he got older? I'd agree the picture is well post-war.

The other thing to note is that this man is not wearing any medals or ribbons. This likely means that the medals you have were not awarded to this man.

Rgds

Tim