Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

27th Siege Battery RGA

swift1914

Can anyone help to locate the whereabouts of 27th siege battery RGA on 25th February 1918. I am trying to find out details on gunner Leonard Bazley Snell (service no:145002) who was KIA on that date. I know from CWG records that he is buried in Cambrin Military Cemetery... and that's it.

The 27th Siege Battery, RGA served under the 7th Brigade, RGA from 27 December 1917 until the end of the war. Unfortunately the War Diary of the 27th Siege Battery for the period from March 1917 until the end of the war has not been traced.

I don't know much about Gnr Snell other than he was born at Newport, Monmouthshire and enlisted at Honiton, Devon. "27th Siege Battery, RGA, France and Flanders" which is the only history of the battery that I am aware of is only 12 pages long and only gives a nominal roll of the battery and a list of wounded and KIA. On 25 February 1917 seven members of the battery were killed in action: Snell, Cpl G W Phillips, Bdr H Higgins, Gnr H White, Gnr F Fox, Gnr G Morre and Gnr S J Pike - there are no wounded listed for that date. The number and ranks of the men could indicate that either a gun was hit killing the crew or a dugout was hit killing all in the dugout.

Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks Dick, you are a star.

All of the gun crew who were KIA on that date are buried in adjacent plots in Cambrin Military Cemetery, the sole exception being Gunner Sidney Pike, who is buried in Lapugnoy Military Cemetery some 14km to the west. Why?... Interestingly he was the son of the painter Sidney Pike.

As regards Gunner Leonard Snell, a brass plaque to his memory was erected by his parents in St. Cuthbert's Church, Widworthy Devon, where he was the organist for 11 years before he enlisted.

Regards - Pat Avery