Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion, South Wales Borderers

Stephen Nulty

Lance Corporal 11193 William Gray of the 1st Battalion, South Wales Borderers, landed in France on 29th November 1914 and was killed in action less than a month later, on 21st December. He has no known grave and is remembered on the Le Touret Memorial.

Would anybody have access to the diary or history for the period in which William was in France so that I can build up an idea of the unit’s movements leading up to his death?

If no-one beats me to it, I'll have a look in the regimental history tonight.

Cheers, Steven. Much appreciated

OK.

The history reports a draft of 3 officers (Lt A S B Jenkins (3rd Battalion), 2 Lt Loch (ex-RMC) and Jenkins), and 53 men arriving on the 28th.

They appear to have been out of the Line at the time, at Outersteene; on the 3rd December they lined the road for a visit by HM King george, who spent some time chatting to the battalion.

On 20th December, the battalion was called out to "restore a nasty situation which at developed at and just north of Givenchy" The fighting was pretty confused and unpleasant - 1 officer and 114 men were killed or missing, and 6 & 99 wounded.

PM me an e-mail address and I'll scan the relevant pages.

Cheers. PM sent

I'll have a look this evening. Have you any more information on him?

Private 36464, Hudson, E, 1st Battalion, SWB, is listed in the appendix.

CWGC entry HERE

A pretty hideous little affair in the mud sea near Passchendaele. A small local attack to seize some high ground: not a success - 2 officers killed and one missing; 5 officers wounded. 372 casualties amongst the men (well over two thirds of those involved).