Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Langham, Lincolnshire Regiment

RobL

Seemingly my only relative on my fathers side who was in the armed forces during the Great War. George Langham was my great uncle and served with the Lincolns, I believe he survived. Is there anyway anyone can find out more about him? The above is everything I know about him

Hi Rob,

The only George Langham Linc. Reg. on Ancestry with a MIC is 46057 then 28478 Labour Corps. British and Victory medals and middle name S, could this be your man?

Regards. Llew.

Hi Rob,

This is the only George Langham with the Lincolns on Ancestry.

Have not checked the National Archives.

HTH

Garry

Cheers guys, the Labour Corps link is interesting - there's a photo of him (supposedly at Hellfire Corner) with members of the Labour Corps, Lincolnshire Regiment and a Scotsman. Is it possible it was took whilst he was with the Labour Corps, but kept his cap badge?

Medal card of Langham, George S

Corps Regiment No Rank

Lincolnshire Regiment 46057 Private

Labour Corps 28478 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/11

From the NA site

Ellie

Thanks all - much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Found out a bit more about him - apparently at some point, he was cut off, so him and his mates threw their rifles and equipment into a canal (presumably so they could swim across it and get back to their Regiment) - could this have resulted in him being put in the Labour Corps as a form of punishment?

I hate to put a damper on fa,ily stories but his Labour Corps regimental number indicates that he was, originally at least, in 48 Company.

This company was formed in May 1917 from the 9th Infantry Labour Company, Lincolnshire Regiment.

The 9th ILC, Lincs arrived in France on 30 March 1917 and were used on railwork.

I am not an expert on the Lincs but his regimental number looks to me like one that was issued to men who were placed in an ILC on being called up.

So it looks as if he was in the Labour Corps because of his medical category.

Ivor