Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 Lieut Hubert Hollings

Chutist33

Hello Everyone,

Anyone have access or knows of any information regarding the above Officer please?

He died, aged 19, on 28 September 1918 and hailed from Leeds.

He is buried at Larch Wood (Railway Cutting) Cemetery.

Many thanks, yours aye, Jim K

Born 1899, Hunslet/Middleton, son of William and Jane, errr....that's it

Source: Ancestry

Hi,

In 'THE SKY THEIR BATTLEFIELD' he is listd as being kia on 28/8/1918, left 6-10am storm seen near Engel Dump.

DH4 - 202 Sqn

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1217952838.jpg

Born 1899, Hunslet/Middleton, son of William and Jane, errr....that's it

Source: Ancestry

Many thanks Stephen. Much appreciated. Yours aye, Jim K

Hi,

In 'THE SKY THEIR BATTLEFIELD' he is listd as being kia on 28/8/1918, left 6-10am storm seen near Engel Dump.

DH4 - 202 Sqn

Regards,

Cnock

Cnock, Many thanks to you for info: Wonder if he was lost in storm rather than shot down? Was a DH4 a single seater? (Forgive ignorance please!) Yours aye, Jim K

Jim

DH4 was a twin seat bomber.

Cnock is right about the TSTB entry but Airmen Died confirms the date as 28 September 1918. Hollings was an observer flying with Lt Ronald Ringrose (also KIA). No further information.

Regards

Patrick

Yep I got the date wrong on that one - it's 28th September. I think the strong probability is that they were victims of the storm that morning - which I vaguely recall even found its way into the Official History for its ferocity. It certainly resulted in the loss of two other crews forced down over the lines. Ringrose and Hollings' aircraft was DH4 N5962.

One of these days I'll publish my updated book.

Regards,

Trevor

Jim

DH4 was a twin seat bomber.

Cnock is right about the TSTB entry but Airmen Died confirms the date as 28 September 1918. Hollings was an observer flying with Lt Ronald Ringrose (also KIA). No further information.

Regards

Patrick

Thank you Patrick. Amazing. Yours aye, Jim K

Yep I got the date wrong on that one - it's 28th September. I think the strong probability is that they were victims of the storm that morning - which I vaguely recall even found its way into the Official History for its ferocity. It certainly resulted in the loss of two other crews forced down over the lines. Ringrose and Hollings' aircraft was DH4 N5962.

One of these days I'll publish my updated book.

Regards,

Trevor

Thank you Trevor. Yours aye, Jim K

• 10 years later...

I appreciate this is 10 years old, but I believe my great uncle was killed with Hollings that day also from 202 squadron. They were apparently attacked by 25 German machines. I have some pictures and cuttings if interested.

• 6 months later...

At the village of Lophem  (now Loppem, part of Zedelgem) near Bruges, there are two diaries of WW 1: one of the Mayor (baron van Caloen), and one of another member of the local gentry Mr. Joseph Coppieters. Both talk about the fall of a Allied airplane at Lophem on the 28.09.1918 not far from a place called Watermolen (Water mill). The two airmen were dead. It isn't said if there was an airfight, or if the plane was hit by flak. The same day a German airplane went down in Lophem also, but it isn't said there was a connection between this two things. Allied airman that were killed in the region of Lophem were normally buried at the military part of the Steenbrugge Cemetery near Bruges. After the war, much (or all?) British military who were buried at Steenbrugge were reburied at Larch Wood Cemetery.

On Larch Wood Cemetery there are two British airmen which came from Steenbrugge Cemetery and died on 28.09.1918: Ronald Ringrose and Hubert Hollings, belonging to the 202 Sq. So I thought it's very well possible that they were the two Allied airman that went down at Lophem on 28.09.1918. There are no other airmen on Larch Wood which died on 28.09.1918.

My supposition seems to be confirmed by the casualty card of both at rafmuseumstoryvault, which mentions that they crashed at the Bruges-Torhout Road about 1,5 miles NE op Lophem.

If someone has more information about them, I should like to hear it. We are collecting all possible information on war casualties in our town.

Edited by pat.58