Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Please help me find Pte Davie Ross

*sparkle*

This is a bit of a long shot which is why I am asking for your help.

I shall tell you a little story first. When I was little I remember my Dad telling me about a man called Davie Ross who he served his time with (Electicians Apprentice - not as in jail -_- )

I vividly remember him recounting the story of how Davie was in the trenches ('somewhere in France') shooting round after round for hours on end (Dad said 4 hours but may have been shorter/longer) and the gun had het up so much it was jamming. Anyway Davie felt his arm get warm but just carried on firing. Once he stopped to unjam the action he realised he couldnt move his arm and a bullet had gone straight up through his arm. Davie was taken away from the trenches and subsequently sent home unfit for service. Years later he recounted the story of the bullet that had 'saved his life'.

Forward onto now and my rekindled interest in all things related to the Great War. I'm curious to find out a wee bit more about Davie Ross. So I grilled my Dad at the weekend, and now at least I have his name.

He most likely was a conscript. He was born and lived out his days in Dumfries, Scotland. (Laterly lived in Troqueer, Maxwelltown) He also had a son called Davie Ross.

Now I have had a look at the medal rolls and there seems to be a scary amount of David Ross's listed. Has anyone got any ideas where else I could look? Or will it be like hunting for a needle in a haystack?

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Tracey

Tracey

I hope the silence is not too deafening ! Could you choose a less common name !

Where to start ? If it was me doing this one way would be to try and identify him from the 1901 Census /Ancestry UK for full name,age and date of birth,place of birth and residence. You know where he lived so it is a bit easier than if you didn't ! Then I would try to find if he has a service record surviving,again on Ancestry or at Kew Archives. There are quite a lot of records gone forever due to bombing in 1940. This record would show his details pretty fully enough for you to be sure you have the right man. He might also have a Pension Record if his arm damage was bad enough,your Dad might remember if that was the case. It gives you another chance of finding his service record.

If you find his records you can then be sure which Battalion(s) he was serving in and you can put together his experiences. People here will help you. There may be someone now who can look up Ancestry for you and post it here.

There might also be records in Dumfries concerning locals joining up,maybe there is an Archive,Newspaper, or a History Society there who can help.

As you can see there might be no easy answer,but let's hope for some good fortune and try all the avenues !

Sotonmate

Tracey,

If he served his time with your Dad, then they must have been the same age bracket (apperntiships were 5 years long), which would give you a Dob target. Can you Dad recall any details about the regiment ?

Grant

Well,just to narrow it down by 1,here's our Davy Ross.

Please see below :)

Dave(sometimes Davy)

Tracey,

Had a scout round on Ancestry for you.

As you say, lots of David Ross's. Narrowed all down and it really is a long shot as so many records were destroyed in WW2. But anyway found just one candidate from the long list.

Narrowed him down by location (unfortunately could not see his age or an occupation on the record), But. Found the only one that may be anything remotely for you. Believe me, it would be a miracle if this were him........

Here goes: Note the comment re Wound Left Arm.

post-8059-1217977657.jpg

If you would like I will download all the record and email it to you if you pm me.

Susan.

post-8059-1217978052.jpg

post-8059-1217978114.jpg

Tracey

I think Susan has found your man ! All we need now is for some kind person to post the Medal Index Card here,though it is downloadable for 3.50 from the National Archives Digital Express service. It is there under WO372/17,Image Ref:93867/10970. He was 2365 in the Scottish Rifles (Cameronians) and later,presumably because of his wounds,moved to the Royal Defence Corps (No. 30427) a home-based unit.

Susna's images above are confirmed by the date he went to France,the 1/6th Scottish Rifles left the UK on 20.3.1915 and arrived in France on the 21st where they joined 23 Brigade of 8 Division,being part of them from arrival until 2 June 1915. For deployment of all Scottish Rifles Battalions see:

http://www.1914-1918.net/scotrif.htm

Your man would have been at the Battle of Aubers Ridge on May 15th:

http://www.1914-1918.net/BATTLES/bat11_aubers/bat.htm

and from 2 June the Battalion was moved to 154 Brigade of 51 Division:

http://www.1914-1918.net/51div.htm

He would almost certainly have got his wound at the battle called "The Second Action at Givenchy" on 16 June 1915,see:

http://www.1914-1918.net/bat12.htm

All these refs come from the Long Long Trail at top left of this page.

Susan's papers say that he left France on 20 June 1915,this would have been en route to a UK Hospital after passing through the Casualty chain back through Base Hospital in France.

Please post any details from the Medal Index Card,there may be more help from that too.

Sotonmate

He most likely was a conscript. He was born and lived out his days in Dumfries, Scotland. (Laterly lived in Troqueer, Maxwelltown)

Now, I really hope it is your man, but before getting further excited I draw attaention to his domicile, which seems at odds with the service record?

Ian

Hamilton is closeish to Dumfries, but not that close.

I would check the Dumfries and Galloway Standard archives and see if that can turn up anything.

From reading your post; Davie Ross was an electrician and your father was his apprentice. So Davie was older than your dad, and able bodied enough to work as a tradesman.

All we need now is for some kind person to post the Medal Index Card here

Allow me.............

Well done Steve E. There is no mention of a Silver War Badge though,is it possible that there is another MIC for that ?

Sotonmate

Hi Sotonmate, I am ignorant of these things but what is the medal referred to on the picture in post #6...

I thought that might be the SWB. Just goes to show I really am ignorant of what I am actually looking at.

Would be pleased for your help though.

post-8059-1218036121.jpg

a little bit more from his pension record. Cannot find any reference to SWB...

Susan,

What you posted is indeed concerning his SWB - it looks like the enclosing letter when it was sent to this particular David Ross. Sotonmate expects to see a separate card like the MIC reflecting the award of his SWB. It is complementing your input, and adding to the records we can look at.

But it does not tell us if we have the right man! It certainly looks a good chance it is ('good' as in 'miracle' I would say!) but I would like to see a confirmation from the public records (birth certs/census, etc) regarding his address. I wouldn't want Tracey to conclude it is 'sorted' just yet?

Ian

Susan

I was only looking to see if there was a MIC for the SWB as well,the corresponding original Medal Roll might have had an interest for Tracey. I am not doubting that a SWB wasn't issued,as your doc clearly shows !

I would like to think that Davie Ross's Davie Ross (or even his Davie Ross ?) still has the medals and the Badge.

Sotonmate

My thoughts exactly. But this would surely be a miracle if this were the right chap. Considering the slim chance anyone has of finding who they are looking for it certainly would be some kind of devine intervention!

Thanks for all your advice re medal cards etc. Learn something every time I read more experienced pals posts.

Susan.

Hi Tracey,

To check whether any of the helpful replies above are on the right track, you should give the Ewart Library in Dumfries a phone (01387 253820); ask to be put through to the reference section. One of the two main newspapers for the area, the Dumfries and Galloway Standard, has been indexed for a large part of its early years, including WW1. Ask them to check the index for 'David Ross' in connection with the war, usually beside the name it will state the area e.g. Lockerbie, as well as give an indication of regiment/corps or 'killed'/'died' etc.

All the best,

Stuart

Hello.

Sorry I have been offline. Work took over there :wacko:

Some great stuff here everyone, but I need to digest it all. It is a shame Davie Ross is a bit of a common name. Davie was quite a bit older than my Dad. My Dad was born 1943 and Davie was near to retirement when Dad began his apprenticeship. I shall question him some more. I think when I was asking him at the weekend he hadn't thought about Davie in a while. Fingers crossed I have jogged some memories, so I shall give him a call tonight and report back later.

Hamilton doesnt seem to fit, but again I can ask my Dad, so you never know.....

Thanks for all your effort so far, it really really means a lot! I had looked and looked and just got into a muddle!

Tx

I just thought (haven't looked yet) this may explain why I couldnt find Davie in the 1901 census in Dumfries or Kirkcudbright. I'm going to try find when he died (fingers crossed my Dad's grey matter is working) and work back from there.

Thanks again everyone... I really hope this Davie is the right man.....

Tx

ps I'm a great believer in fate.... just like the grave hunting I was doing at the weekend... in a graveyard of thousands and a rough idea where to look I walked straight up to my G.G.G. Grandads grave.... if this Davie Ross is the right one I'm off to buy a lottery ticket.... :D