Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Locations of 1/15th londons and 2nd Northants Reg

nanokitten

Hi Guys, It's been a while.

I've very nearly finished transcribing my GGF's (Reginald John Palmer's) war diaries.

With support from the esteemed Pals here I know:

-he joined the 1/15th london civil service rifles (8 platoon) and remained with them untill the end of 1915.

-He was comissioned 23/1/1916 and joined the 2nd Northants a few days later (29th I think)

- he was wounded at contalmaison 7/7/16 and sent home.

What I would like to do is to try and identify where his unit was at any given time

I'm interested in (eventually) plotting where my guy was at any given time during the war

I've bought Jill Knights book as a starting point but I'd be greatfull for any thoughts.

Cheers

L

Hi nanokitten, the following is an extract from Westlake's 'Battalions on the Western Front January-June 1915'

1/15th Bn. Londons

March-April

To Southampton 17th March and embarked on SS Balmoral, City of Chester, Jupiter and Munich. Sailed for France, arriving at Le Harve during the morning of 18th. Moved by train to Berguette next day and from there marched to billets at Cauchy-a-la-Tour. To Bethune 7th April and began instructon under 2nd Coldstream Guards in Givenchy sector. Took over part of line opposite Ducks Bill on 13th. Also located in The Keep area and rested at Le Preol. Moved to Labeuvriere on 24th.

May-June

To Gorre on 8th May. Began tours in line Festubert sector. To Sailly-Labourse on 1st June and Les Brebis on 7th. The regimental history of the battalion notes that the chief enemy about this time was the fy. A sign board over a dug-out bearing the regimental badge and motto - 'Ich Dien' being amended to read' Itch Den'.

The 1/15th Bn. War Diary can be found in WO 95/2732.

The folowing extract is taken from Westlake's 'Battalions on the Somme 1916'

2nd Bn. Northants

Moved forward with 23rd Division from Molliens-au-Bois area to Henencourt Wood in reserve (1/7). Battalion with 24th Brigade had transferred from 8th Division to 23rd in October 1915. To Dernancourt (4/7), Fricourt (6/7). Moved forward to positions at Lozenge Wood ('C' and 'D' Companies) and Crucifix Trench ('A' and 'B' Companies) in support of attack towards Contalmaison (7/7). Withdrew to Birch Alley. Renewed attack checked at Peake Wood (8/7) - withdrew to Lonely Copse by evening. To Bresle (taking over billets from 1st Battalion) (10/7).

The 2nd Bn. War Diary can be fond in WO 95/1722

Hope this helps, Jon

I have the war diary for the 2nd battalion for the period. I'll see what I can do. I need to clear my Inbox of Personal Messages again, but if you e-mail me via my Forum Profile, I can attach some PDF copies in reply.

Steve.

wow, thanks guys, brilliant as ever!

Stebie9173 did try to pm you last night, so will try again soon.

Sparky, In terms of what happens to the diaries, I don't own the copyright another relative does so I will need to get permission / negotiate with him about what we do with the results but I think we are both keen to make it available (maybe on t'internet).

jay dubaya thanks for this the B and C (and the mention of the coldstreams) fits with the diaries (post censor) so I should be able to put names to places, great.

Cheers,

L

Hello nanokitten, the diaries sound fascinating, as my main interest is the 47th Div I look forward to being able to see them in whatever format you decide to produce them.

I note that in your signature you have 2/Lt J H Hanna, 19th London, att 2/5th London. I'm researching the 19th Londons and have seen his service record, Please email me via my profile if you would like more info. However, I don't know anything about his service with 2/5th Londons or how he was killed.

Charles

I've sent you the war diaries for the first half of 1916, but they will be fairly large, so let me know if your e-mail rejects the delivery, please.

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks so much for your help. I've been away a week and returned to find your files sitting safe and well in my inbox.

Cheers

L

Charles I've tried to message you (an email you) via your profile but It seems to be disabled, If you pm me your email address we can do a swop on what we have on J H Hanna.

Cheers

L