Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking info on Grandfather

stfergus

Hi folks,

Like so many other I am trying to find my Grandfather who I believe was in The Royal Scots, during WW1. He would have enlisted from Denny iin Stirlingshire, name Alexander Smith, yes Smith !!

As luck would have it I do not have to hand the Regimental number I have which may ? be attributal to him. I don`t recall ever seeing hiom as a kid, but heard he was a piper, and had been gassed. Its amazing I have my Gt.Gt. G/fathers military history but cannot find the generation after him, in terms of military service. I belief he was in the 13th. Royal Scots.

If might ask a stupid question of the forum, what is the difference between Royal Scots and Royal Scots Fusiliers ? If any.

Any help greatly appreciated, will obviously try to find regimental no.

regards,

StFergus

Welcome to the forum, StFergus. The RS (Lothian Regiment) and the RSF are two different regiments. You can read about their WW1 history at my own website, the Long, Long Trail.

You might struggle finding an Alexander Smith simply as there were so many. I am sure you don't need me to tell you that. But knowing he was in the 13th Royal Scots will help. If you follow the "researching a soldier" advice at the same site, you'll know how to go about finding him.

StFergus,

Can I echo Chris' advice.

You need to check at home for Medals,etc.This will give you the Regiment.The Number,by itself,will not help as they were duplicated between Battailions and Regiments in WW1.

George

Welcome to the forum, StFergus. The RS (Lothian Regiment) and the RSF are two different regiments. You can read about their WW1 history at my own website, the Long, Long Trail.

You might struggle finding an Alexander Smith simply as there were so many. I am sure you don't need me to tell you that. But knowing he was in the 13th Royal Scots will help. If you follow the "researching a soldier" advice at the same site, you'll know how to go about finding him.

Thanks Chris,

I have just found the paper I was looking for, in a mound of letters etc. I have a list of names from a boof , To the Honour of the Fallen I think that is the title, it referred to the men from Denny, Stirlingshire who enlisted. An example of the difficulty of Smiths, there were no less than 5 from one address. However I feel the chap I am looking for is an Alexander Smith enlisted 1915 into 13th. Royal Scots, No. 16978 then has a Labour corps No. 119094. From my ltd knowledge I would guess this may have happened as a result of "the gassing" I think I heard as a youngster. I will look the info you gave and try to follow up.

Many thanks,

Frustrated, StFergus

StFergus,

Can I echo Chris' advice.

You need to check at home for Medals,etc.This will give you the Regiment.The Number,by itself,will not help as they were duplicated between Battailions and Regiments in WW1.

George

Hi dycer,

Thankyou, unfortunately I have no knowledge of the whereabouts of any medals he might have had, I do know ? that they would have been a help in tracing him. I have replied to another post where I have added his nos. Hope there areless spelling mistakes in this one.

Regards,

StFergus

His MIC.....

post-13680-1217808182.jpg

Neil

Here's Alexander's MIC at the NA (clickety click)

it's also available on ancestry, but alas I'm not a member there,

Jon

A million thanks, I will now try to establish if this is my G/father how ? I don`t quite know. May I offer my thanks to this forum for alll assistance rendered to date. No doubt there will be more questions once I confirm this is the man I am looking for. I believe The Western Front Assoc. has,or is copying info fromthe other side of the cards, where available. Does anyone know how this info can be gleaned ? His address on enlistment would clinch.

Again, Many thanks to all.

The MIC that Neil has posted is from ancestry, who have made both sides of the cards available, generally details on the reverse side included the recipients address, since officers had to apply for their medals it's usually only their MICs that carry any info here, there are a few exceptions but I thik that Neil would have posted the reverse had any details been there,

Jon

The MIC that Neil has posted is from ancestry, who have made both sides of the cards available, generally details on the reverse side included the recipients address, since officers had to apply for their medals it's usually only their MICs that carry any info here, there are a few exceptions but I thik that Neil would have posted the reverse had any details been there,

Jon

I hope this is not against forum protocol but thanks again.

regards,

Stfergus

Forum member Ivor Lee is the Labour Corps expert, it may well be worth contacting him with regards to Alexander's service with the corps,

Jon

Forum member Ivor Lee is the Labour Corps expert, it may well be worth contacting him with regards to Alexander's service with the corps,

Jon

I know Ivor personally, a veritable mine of information,I cannot recall if I approached him re- Alexander Smith.

regards,

stfergus

Ouch we have a problem!

According to his Labour Corps number he was in 199 Company but I have two men with numbers slightly lower than his who are in 200 Company! So I think I need to do a bit more research before giving a definative answer.

What I can say, with fair certainty, is that he became a member of the Labour Corps in September 1917 when 199 and 200 were formed.

199 and 200 were both fromed from 2 Permanent Base Company and this is where I think the confusion comes from. In theory 199 men had Labour Corps numbrs up to 119400 and 200 numbers above this. But what I think may have happened is that the men in 2 P.B. were given their Labour Corps numbers and then placed in 199 or 200. So some men were in the 'wrong' company.

To complicate things even more when 19 and 200 were first formed they were employed in the same place.

So will do a bit more checking and if I get no further will PM you what we have on 199 in the hope it is the right company

Ivor

This is one where I cannot be certain about the company. The more I look into it the more it looks like they numbered the men in 2PB then split them into 199 and 200 Company.

So without a service record I cannot tell which company he was in - sorry.

Ivor

Jon

Yep, the back was blank I'm sorry to say.

Neil

Yep, the back was blank I'm sorry to say.

Neil

Hello Black Watch,

Thank you for the info re-the reverse of MIC card. After I viewed the card I revisited my family tree prog. noting the dates of children born to Alexander after he came home. They tied in with all the info I had. So thanks again. I am now convinced that this is my man. If I may ask where now might I go to find out about the 13th.Royal Scots ?

I have contacted Ivor lee, he hopefully can shed some light on the Labour Corps part of things.

Finally may I extend my gratitude to the forum for their valuable assistance.

regards,

James H. Paterson

James,

You will find general informaton about the 13th Royal Scots on the opening page of this Web-site.Click on Army then Infantry.By precedence the Royal Scots are the First of Foot.If you click on this you will find all the Battalions raised in the War.From the link from the 13th you will find the Divisional actions in which they participated.

If you use Royal Scots in the search engine in this Forum you may find previous mention of the 13th also references to a Book(can't remember its name but the Author is Ewing) which was written shortly after the War which documents the Regimental History in WW1.I understand the book has been reprinted but as its general information suggest you try and borrow a copy from the Library.

Assuming you live near Edinburgh the Regimental Museum in the Castle may hold a copy of the Battalion War Diary.

It may also be worth checking the local paper archives as your Grandfather may be mentioned.

George

p.s. When trawling through the Royal Scots search ignore all mentions of the 8th Battalion :D

13th Royal Scots were in the 15th (Scottish) Division for the whole war, the divisional history is available as a reprint. It won't mention him but it might give you an idea of what the battalion was up to when he was wounded.