Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P1907's... no clearance hole

findabetterole

A little while back, I opened a thread about the '07' with no clearance hole = whats out there, or whats available to the dedicated collector and novice alike. Unfortunatelly, it didn't get very far.

Anyway, here we are again, and this time.... for everyones enjoyment, here are some NO Clearance Hole '07's' from my own collection...

Enjoy!

Seph

post-18081-1217616485.jpg

and more...

A good point to note is: none of the '07's shown have any re-issue date upon them!

post-18081-1217616715.jpg

You have already seen this Lithgow 1919 I know, but here it is again...

Regards

TonyE

Thanks TonyE

On the way to me through the mail are also a few more nch '07's = Lithgow: 1916, 1917, Sanderson: 1-15, 5-15, Wilkinson: 6-16. I've also noted Lithgow's recently on sale with dates for 1919, 1920, 1921. All three of which were for sale in Australia, and went for insain prices... far outreaching what they are actually worth.

Incidentally, I just missed an nch example for Mole: 7-16 on evilbay. That's a talking point to anyone's collection. The seller was listed as being in Croatia, a fact which actually put me off!

Seph

Seph - I'll add a pic of mine in a mo'

BTW - did you see TonyE and I taking your name in vain in the German Bayonet thread...:)

Nice selection btw.

Chris

1918 Lithgow marked to the 2MD on crosspiece.

Seph - I'll add a pic of mine in a mo'

BTW - did you see TonyE and I taking your name in vain in the German Bayonet thread...:)

Nice selection btw.

Chris

1918 Lithgow marked to the 2MD on crosspiece.

Looks like a re-issue for WW.2 Chris!

Just read your comments.. :D

Seph

Looks like a re-issue for WW.2 Chris!

Just read your comments.. :D

Seph

I think it was reissued for "Home Defence" in Australia....(2nd Military District), I assume during WWII. I have a similarly marked No1 MkIII*

There are no reissue dates on the blade, just the original 1918 and it hasn't been "blued" or "pakerized"

There are no reissue dates on the blade, just the original 1918 and it hasn't been "blued" or "pakerized"

Quite correct. The re-issue marking for Australia is the military district stamping that you see upon the outer edge of the crossguard.

Seph

• 10 years later...

Am resurrecting this long dormant thread, as yesterday I picked up a P1907 lacking a clearance hole.  It is an Enfield with a date stamp of December 1914, both the '1' stamps are very lightly struck.  On the opposite side of the ricasso there is the usual 'splayed' broad arrow mark, an Enfield inspectors mark, a smaller broad arrow with EFD beneath that and what looks like 10 below that.  But NO 'X' bend mark and no re-issue dates.  The scabbard, which I think is original to the bayonet, is the No. 1 mark 2 with no rivets to the locket and tear drop frog stud, the leather has a nice brown finish.  The locket throat is marked 8 EY, this eight batt. Essex Yeomanry, weapon no. 46.  The scabbard is very clearly marked HGR15 for Hepburn. Gale and Ross 1915, also splayed broad arrow with inspectors mark and 15 below that.  The blade is in very good condition, with signs of service sharpening.  How common are examples without the clearance hole?

Any comments welcome.

Mike.

1 hour ago, MikeyH said:

How common are examples without the clearance hole?

Any comments welcome.

Mike.

Hi Mike

I visited the Birmingham (UK) International Arms Fair a few weeks ago, intent on buying an early to mid-war dated P1907 with no clearance hole, no re-issue dates, brown leather scabbard and in very clean condition. There were dozens of P1907’s for sale and many had no clearance hole. If that’s at all indicative 100 years on, then I’d say they are still relatively common. I did find what I wanted - a very clean March 1916 Sanderson that ticked all the boxes at £115, which is about the same price they were fetching a few years back. 

I’m not a bayonet collector but I do own seven P1907’s for display with sets of equipment. None have been re-issued and only the 1918 example has a clearance hole. That said, I’ve only ever acquired very clean or mint examples, so maybe I’m just seeing the ones that left service during or soon after the Great War. 

I’d be interested to know if there are examples that have post 1918 re-issue dates but no clearance hole ?

All the best,

Pete

Edited by Pete_C

Mike,

Examples of the P.07 without a clearance hole are not that common, even though the count of these mentioned is currently 22.

However, only 11 of these were made after the clearance hole was promulgated in 1 ‘16, and these are the truly unusual.

Nice-sounding EFD, could you post photos?

Regards,

JMB

(edit: The 22 referred to excludes PeteC’s example)

Edited by JMB1943
Add info

52 minutes ago, Pete_C said:

I’d be interested to know if there are examples that have post 1918 re-issue dates but no clearance hole ?

Pete,

I have recorded a WILK  unk ‘15 with re-inspection dates of ‘22, ‘25, ‘27, ‘31, ‘34, ‘39 with no CH.

Pommel was stamped 1 C.G. for 1st Bn Coldstream Guards.

So it does happen, even in the best of families!

Regards,

JMB

19 hours ago, Pete_C said:

Hi Mike

I visited the Birmingham (UK) International Arms Fair a few weeks ago, intent on buying an early to mid-war dated P1907 with no clearance hole, no re-issue dates, brown leather scabbard and in very clean condition. There were dozens of P1907’s for sale and many had no clearance hole. If that’s at all indicative 100 years on, then I’d say they are still relatively common. I did find what I wanted - a very clean March 1916 Sanderson that ticked all the boxes at £115, which is about the same price they were fetching a few years back. 

I’m not a bayonet collector but I do own seven P1907’s for display with sets of equipment. None have been re-issued and only the 1918 example has a clearance hole. That said, I’ve only ever acquired very clean or mint examples, so maybe I’m just seeing the ones that left service during or soon after the Great War. 

All the best,

Pete

Pete,

I am a regular at the International, but missed the last one as we were away on holiday, as you say normally loads of P1907's on offer.  My undrilled pommel example cost £80 at an antiques centre, a lucky find.  Looking forward to the next Arms Fair on the 9th September.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

As a follow up to post #9, my P1907 without clearance hole has a partly legible stamp to the grip

at the cross guard end.  Am unable to capture this clearly with a camera, so have done a sketch.

Turning it over, it it could conceivably be 7VI, but the 3rd digit, seems more like an 'L' to me.  

Any ideas?

Mike.

odd marking.jpeg

• 4 years later...

Haven’t seen many new P07’s recently so thought I’d add my latest addition. I would normally pass on a bayonet like this given it’s condition, not the best, but just had to have it as such an honest example of a Great War bayonet and scabbard that had been together since 1915.

The bayonet was manufactured by Enfield  in July 1915 (production ceased end of 1915), with no re-inspection stamps and the pommel free of the clearance hole. Suffered from damp at some point with a small amount of pitting but after a clean looks like 80 percent or so of the original blueing remains, blade is a bit pitted but acceptable. Scabbard still has its brown leather, sadly there’s a split to the rear but still intact, locket is pitted but the leather markings are nice and clear, EFD 1915.

Dave.

IMG_4909.jpeg

IMG_4910.jpeg

IMG_4911.jpeg

IMG_4912.jpeg

IMG_4913.jpeg

IMG_4915.jpeg

Dave,

A nice find.  I now have 2 P1907's without the clearance hole, an Enfield dated December 1914, and a Sanderson carrying the stamp for September 1915.  They are both in very good condition, maybe never saw active service.  The Enfield is in a early brown scabbard, made by HGR and dated 1915.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

6 hours ago, MikeyH said:

Dave,

A nice find.  I now have 2 P1907's without the clearance hole, an Enfield dated December 1914, and a Sanderson carrying the stamp for September 1915.  They are both in very good condition, maybe never saw active service.  The Enfield is in a early brown scabbard, made by HGR and dated 1915.

Mike.

Funnily enough this is my second as well, I’m envious of yours, they sound interesting….getting hard to find these things nowadays, not many around from what I can see.

Dave