Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital in Harehills, Yorkshire

Guest aileen

hello!

Does anyone know anything about a hospital called Seacroft or Scarcroft in Harehills, Yorkshire. Apparently my grandfather convalesced at this place following a serious injury suffered during his WWI service. My father remembers accompanying his father even years later where they were apparently trying to correct the deformaty in his hand suffered as the result of a bullet wound in his left shoulder during the war.

Aileen

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I have probabl;y missed the boat by a long time on this thread, but here goes anyway.

Seacroft Hospital was built just after the turn of the 20th Century as an infectious diseases hospital and it was used primarily in this role during both world wars, indeed one on my war memorial men died of meningitis there in 1945. Across the road was Killingbeck Hospital which is now demolished. Both hospitals, as I understand it, housed patients who had been operated on at the East Leeds War Hospital, which now forms a part of the present St James's Hospital.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 1 year later...

Just to add my two penith...I work for Yorkshire Ambulance Service and occasionly visit Seacroft Hospital.

It was indeed a Military Hospital during WW1 (The hospital has a history board/timeline in one of the corridors confirming this.) - I did think there was a military connection sometime ago due to photographing some WW2 graves in the Roman Catholic Cemetery that is nearly opposite the hospital for some colleagues on a WW2 Forum I frequent.

I was told there was a WW2 military hospital next to the cemetery that has long gone and now sports a ASDA supermarket and housing on it's grounds.

If anyone would like some pictures of the hospital feel to post a request on here.

I wonder if anyone has any WW1 photo's of the Hospital and I'll do a 'Then and Now'. Most of the hospital is in it's original form although I suspect it won't remain the same for too much longer.

Regards

Andy

Just to add my two penith...I work for Yorkshire Ambulance Service and occasionly visit Seacroft Hospital.

It was indeed a Military Hospital during WW1 (The hospital has a history board/timeline in one of the corridors confirming this.) - I did think there was a military connection sometime ago due to photographing some WW2 graves in the Roman Catholic Cemetery that is nearly opposite the hospital for some colleagues on a WW2 Forum I frequent.

I was told there was a WW2 military hospital next to the cemetery that has long gone and now sports a ASDA supermarket and housing on it's grounds.

If anyone would like some pictures of the hospital feel to post a request on here.

I wonder if anyone has any WW1 photo's of the Hospital and I'll do a 'Then and Now'. Most of the hospital is in it's original form although I suspect it won't remain the same for too much longer.

Regards

Andy

There was a military hostpital in leeds the 2nd northern hostpital at beckett park. They took over the teacher training college at Headinley.

Ian

• 4 years later...

Hi

I am researching a soldier PTE ALLAN CARTWRIGHT 3267 K.S.L.I., who died on the 20 November 1918 at a place called EAST LEEDS MILITARY HOSPITAL

Can anyone help with this ie were would I get a death certificate and would he be mentioned in the local press at East Leeds

regarding his death, he was brought home to Shrewsbury for burial on the 25 November, but not a single word can be found in the press locally, anyhelp to this

much appriciated PHIL

Cheers Mick

as for obits do you think he would be mentioned in the Leeds paper as died

long shot I know

PHIL