Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Cellar House of Pervyse

Simon Jones

Does anyone know the precise location of the cellar used as a dressing station in Pervijze (Pervyse) by Elsie Knocker (later Baroness de T’Serclaes) Marie Chisholm in 1915-18? The cellar was reinforced with concrete in 1918 and a steel door fitted supplied by Harrods (apparently later presented to the Imperial War Museum). Although there are photographs, I can’t exactly locate the cellar from either the book The Cellar House of Pervyse (1916) or Flanders and Other Fields (1964) by Baroness de T’Serclaes.

many thanks

Simon

Simon

The programme, I seem to remember, was one in the Ian Hislop 'Not Forgotten' series - they did one about women. It showed Elsie's grandaughter (IIRC) going to Belgium and being shown the low-ceilinged room underneath the modern house. I think the 'local' who showed her was a schoolteacher, and perhaps the building was part of a school. After that, the grandaughter (or just possibly great-niece) did post on this forum - a search on threads about Elsie might find her.

Sue

This is the thread:

and post #30 is from Simon, Elsie's great grandson, and sister of Juliet who went to Belgium - he only posted once, but maybe can be contacted - otherwise perhaps through Channel 4?

Sue

Sue

That's brilliant!

I had the Not Forgotten documentary all along but had, er, forgotten about it... It shows two locations: the site of the hospital in Veurne (Furnes) where they first worked and then the house at Pervyse where the cellar survives over a rebuilt house. I will probably contact the teacher Patrick Vanleene who was showing round T'Serclaes's granddaughter and who has written a book which I have found on the web (Op naar de grote oorlog. Mairi, Elsie en de anderen in Flanders Fields).

Many thanks

Simon

• 13 years later...

Could you tell me the road name of the school house?

Am visiting on Monday 16th cannot even find Pervyse on google maps...

48 minutes ago, FionaBam said:

Could you tell me the road name of the school house?

Am visiting on Monday 16th cannot even find Pervyse on google maps...

That's because you should be looking for Pervijze...

Thank you and yes I found it!