Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Colonel Dudley Strathearn Stewart CB

J.G. Hopkins

I am currently researching Col. Dudley Strathearn Stewart CB of the 10th Ballation of the Northumberland Fusiliers. Lt.-Col. Stewart began his career with the 1st Foot in 1878, but within months had transferred to the Northumberland Fusiliers. He served with the NF for the remainder of his career. From what I can gather from the information available in the Hart’s Lists of the late 19th century, Stewart likely did not see any action until 1888 (Black Mountain Expedition) and 1889 (Hazara Expedition). In 1893 Stewart, then a Captain, became adjutant of the 1st (Renfrewshire) VB of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. In 1899 he returned to his regiment to serve in the Boer War:

S. African War, 1899-1902 - In commd., 2 Bn, North'd Fus. from 9 feb

to 8 Apr 00. Operations in the Orange Free State, Feb to May 00.

Operations in Orange River Colony, May to Nov 00. Operations in Cape

Colony, south of Orange River, 99-00.

In commd., 1 Bn, North'd Fus. 23 Nov 01 to 31 May 02. operations in

the Transvaal, 30 Nov 00 to Jan 02. Operations in Orange River

Colony, Jan 02. operations in Cape Colony, Feb to 31 May 02. Commdt.,

Veereeniging [where the Boers finally accepted British sovereignty]

from 28 Jul 00. Despatches, Lond. Gaz., 10 Sep 01. Brev. Of Lt.Col.

Queen's Medal with 3 clasps. King's Medal with 3 clasps. C.B.

Stewart was also in command of the 10/Northumberland Fusiliers during WWI. Here is his MIC:

stewart.jpg

I am interested in any additional information members can offer regarding Col. Stewart. I have the dates of his promotions through the Boer War, but the details of his career are a bit fuzzy after 1902. I would like very much to obtain a photo of Col. Stewart as well.

Thank you,

Jonathan

the foll details are from the LG

His CB was for the Boer War and appeared in the LG 31st Oct 1902

see http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...xact=Strathearn Stewart&atleast=&similar=

re WWI

London Gazette 6 July 1916

INFANTRY.

Service battalions.

North'd Fus.

Col. D. S. Stewart, C.B. (ret. pay),

vacates the comd. of a Bn. 7 July 1916.

London Gazette 12 Aug 1916

Local Reserve.

North'd Fus.

Col. D. S. Stewart, C.B. (ret. pay), to

comd. a Bn. 31 July 1916.

London Gazette 27 Nov 1916

North'd Fus.

Col. D. S. Stewart, C.B. (ret. pay),

vacates comd. of a Bn. 15 Sept. 1916.

(Substituted for notification which appeared

in Gaz. of 29 Sept. 1916.)

regards

Michael

Thanks, Terry.

Let me make sure I have this straight. Stewart retired in 1909 and returned for service in 1914. He commanded the 10/NF for a while, then the 7/NF, then vacated command of the 7/NF, took command of another battalion, then vacated that command?

Thank you,

Jonathan

Here is a little write-up I did on Col. Stewart. If anyone sees reason for corrections please let me know!

Thank you,

Jonathan

Colonel Dudley Strathearn Stewart CB was the son of Deputy Surgeon General L.W. Stewart, of Madras. He was commissioned into the 1st (Royal) Regiment of Foot as a second lieutenant on 11 May, 1878, and quickly transferred to the 5th (Northumberland Fusiliers) Regiment of Foot on 23 July, 1878. He advanced at a fairly steady pace, becoming lieutenant 1 January, 1881; captain 27 January, 1886. In 1888 the 2/Northumberland Fusiliers participated in the Black Mountain Expedition, which would likely have been Stewart's first taste of action. In 1893 Stewart was appointed adjutant of the 1st (Renfrewshire) Volunteer Battalion of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. In Volunteer Memories, William Lamont writes of Stewart:

In 1893 Captain Dudley Strathearn Stewart of the Northumberland Fusiliers was appointed adjutant of the battalion and a most efficient and popular one he proved to be. When he rejoined his regiment at the expiry of his tour of duty, the battalion followed his career with interest in South Africa, and were delighted when he emerged from that eventful campaign scathless, in command of his regiment the Fighting Fifth, with the decoration of a Companion of the Bath conferred on him by His Majesty.

Stewart reached the rank of major 23 September, 1896. A few short years later Stewart was off to South Africa where he was quite a busy man:

S. African War, 1899-1902 - In commd., 2 Bn, North'd Fus. from 9 feb

to 8 Apr 00. Operations in the Orange Free State, Feb to May 00.

Operations in Orange River Colony, May to Nov 00. Operations in Cape

Colony, south of Orange River, 99-00.

In commd., 1 Bn, North'd Fus. 23 Nov 01 to 31 May 02. operations in

the Transvaal, 30 Nov 00 to Jan 02. Operations in Orange River

Colony, Jan 02. operations in Cape Colony, Feb to 31 May 02. Commdt.,

Veereeniging [where the Boers finally accepted British sovereignty]

from 28 Jul 00. Despatches, Lond. Gaz., 10 Sep 01. Brev. Of Lt.Col.

Queen's Medal with 3 clasps. King's Medal with 3 clasps. C.B.

I assume that Stewart became a lieutenant-colonel at some point during the Boer War. Stewart retired from the in 1909, but returned to the Northumberland Fusiliers in 1914 as commanding officer of the 10th Battalion until 1916, and appears to have retired (again!) in 1920.