Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BICKERSTETH, EDWARD ROBERT. Lieutenant Colonel

Neil Clark

Can someone please confirm this officer isn't recorded by CWGC.

Another transcription from SPELDHURST civic war memorial in Kent! -

BICKERSTETH, EDWARD ROBERT. Lieutenant Colonel.

Royal Army Ordnance Corps.

Died 4 January 1945.

Resided Leigh, Tonbridge, Kent.

Husband of Evelyn Bickersteth (neé Burton) of Paul’s Hill House, Leigh, Tonbridge, Kent

Edward served in the army during the Great War, and has a Medal Index Card entry indicative of overseas active service, as a Lieutenant in the Royal Garrison Artillery (Territorial Force). In 1915 Edward married Evelyn Burton, in the Beverley District of Yorkshire. The Army List of April 1942 records Edward in the Administrative Branch for the Regular Army Emergency Commissions of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps, with the rank of a Temporary Lieutenant Colonel. On 11 January 1945, the following brief obituary appeared in ‘The Times’ newspaper:- “BICKERSTETH – On Jan. 4, 1945 at the Brotherton Wing, Leeds Infirmary, Lieutenant Colonel EDWARD ROBERT BICKERSTETH, of Pauls Hill, Leigh, Kent. Greatly loved husband of Evie. Please, no letters.”

By jove, you are both right!

Surely that is too much of a coincidence to be unconnected? I shall have to dig deeper, much deeper...

Thanks Steve/Neil

Mmm. The death of Edward is recorded in Q1 of 1945 though, so perhaps it really is a coincidence !!!

post-1356-1217592401.jpg

Blimey!

On the basis of that I think this man may indeed be a WW2 non com. It looks like he was a serving officer at the time of his death. I shall pass his case to my active file and get hold of his D.C which should provide a definative answer.

I hope that Terry & Co don't mind me posting WW2 non-coms here? I am not active on any other forum. Besides, I always get good results on the GWF (It's full of REAL experts). Every result I ever get is in part due to GWF input and advice. Perhaps I should join our counterparts WW2 forum? I will have to have a word with Geoff (that clever I.T chap who invented the wheel) who I know is quite active in those circles. Better still, why not use BOTH!

Thanks lads

Neil

Neil

You could always argue that this man is in scope of the Great War Forum by reference to your opening post

"Edward served in the army during the Great War, and has a Medal Index Card entry indicative of overseas active service, as a Lieutenant in the Royal Garrison Artillery (Territorial Force). "

:D

Neil

I started a thread on World War 2 talk with regard to non commemorated casualties which attracted very little interest

Terry did agree that this sub forum could be used for WW2 non comms

Chris

Chris, I'm glad you popped up! Can you Pleeeese have a look at the other men I have posted today and carry out a few searches to confirm they aren't recorded?

I have finally woken from 6 months slumber - I needed a break from all this but now I'm raring to get going again...

I'm away for the weekend so will probably pop up again myself on Monday sometime.

Thanks Chris,

Neil

PS - When did you join the elite "Old Sweat Club"? Otherwise known as the miserable, anti-social, boring, b****** Club!

Neil

became old sweat ages ago - seems like a lifetime :D

Will check out your names when I get home

Chris

arghhhhh

My brain is fried, i'm gonna change my name. Too many Neil's on this forum.

From now on i'm Glyndwr Evans.

Neil

Righteo Neil, I mean Glyndwr (is that French? Sounds very exotic & continental)...

Do these pointless posts count towards my next promotion? Now I know how Chris Harley became a General so damn quickly and at such a young age!

Neil (A Kentish Welshman).

:D Welsh, Being born in England to Welsh folk, i need to get back to roots.

Neil

Neil

no trace of him on CWGC

Chris

Neil

Can't find any of your clutch either.

Many moons ago Chris gave the OK for GWF to process non-coms from WW2 and nothing has changed since then. We have in fact had four cases accepted.

Guest geoff501
I will have to have a word with Geoff (that clever I.T chap who invented the wheel)

I'm not an 'I.T.' chap, I prefer to do useful things with computers. Oddly enough the oldest computer that I've written a program for (1948 vintage) involved a couple of wheels.

Good luck with these cases.

Terry,

I'm soooooo glad thats the case. It always helps to have others confirm negative CWGC searches. I have a few more WW2 men I'm looking at who will need the same done here. When it comes to Non Coms, the GWF and it's many distinguished members are the UK's formost organisation by far...

I will add all 4 men to my next batch.

Thanks.

Neil