Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick O'Donnell Connaught Rangers

DavoT

One for the Connaught Rangers experts or other knowledgeable PALS out there.

4141 Private F O'Donnell DOW 6 Nov 1914. I have all the CWGC/SDGW details but I need some clarification/confirmation on some areas for further research.

- his medals are impressed 3/Connaught Rangers but he is listed under the 2nd.

- would he originally have been on the strength of the 3rd (pre war regular) and transferred to the 2nd for overseas service as he arrived in France 14 Aug 1914.

- given his date of death he would have taken part in First Ypres in particular Gheluvelt where he was possibly wounded.

Any information greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

David

Hi David,

MIC from Ancestry. 3rd Battalion shown and qualifying date as 11.9.1914.

Regards. Llew.

ODonnellMICMedium.jpg

would he originally have been on the strength of the 3rd (pre war regular) and transferred to the 2nd for overseas service as he arrived in France 14 Aug 1914

Yes he would have been attached to the 2nd Battalion. The 3rd never left the UK. However, they were not a pre-war regular battalion but a Reserve Battalion. Regulars were attached to them during the war when in the UK.

Hi Pals, and many thanks for your prompt replies and info.

Llew, many thanks for the medal card and interesting to note the qualifying date. The date I had came from a researcher in the UK many years ago not long after I got Freds 1914 trio.

Patrick, yes I did know that the 3rd was a reserve battalion but wasn't sure whether he would have been attached or transferred to the 2nd.

Again, many thanks to both of you. Some more of the research complete.

Cheers,

David

Hi,

If he was a pre war regular here are some Attestation dates and Service numbers for The Connaught Rangers.

3949 18 March 1891

4048 12 January 1892

4100 11 March 1892

4238 19 July 1892

4458 19 January 1893

Regards Mark

Hi,

The 3rd Battalion was mobilized at Galway August 4th 1914. On August 8th it proceeded by train to Crosshaven, Co Cork with 11 Officers and 424 Other Ranks.

Work was undertaken in construction of trenches, reserve shelters, and various earthworks. They provided outpost detachments on the coast and at special defensible points.

Company training, route marching training and musketry were carried out with the men available.

Three drafts were sent while there to the 2nd Battalion in France on August 26th and 31st and on September 11th.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

many thanks for this additional information which helps tie in some dates etc. 14th August appears to be the date the 2nd Bn arrived in Boulogne with my man arriving with the 3rd draft (11 Sep 1914) from the 3rd Bn, this ties in with the medal card.

Some more details from war diary entries:

1st Nov 1914 To 26th Nov 1914 War Diary

Molensaarlhoek November 1914

A and D Companies repulse attack (1st) 10 killed, 35 wounded. Held line against several attacks and heavy shelling (2nd) –Lieutenants C.J.C O’Mallins and Wickham killed. Relieved by 2nd Highland Light Infantry and moved to reserve line.

Moved back into the firing line (3rd) Enemy came forward after dark (5th) – B company driving them back Second Lieutenant A. Winspear and 4 other ranks killed, 3 officers and 30 other ranks wounded.

In trenches – Constant sniping all day – very heavy shelling (6th)

Still heavily shelled – part of B Coy trench blown in – house 5 yards from our trench occupied by enemy – Gun brought up at night and enemy dislodged – Lieutenant H. Aveling wounded (7th).

Two attacks repulsed (8th). Relieved by 2nd Worcestershire and to positions north east of Polygon Wood.

In action (10th) – driving enemy back into Nonne Bosschen Wood. Casualties 15 killed – 50 wounded.

Moved into Brigade Reserve behind Polygon Wood (12th) then to Belewaarde Farm (16th). To Bailleul (20th) Hazebruck (24th). Moved via Merville, Lacon, and Bethune to Gorre (26th).

As he DOW on 6th Nov some of the earlier entries narrow down timeframe to his actual wounding.

I'll keep searching.

Cheers,

David

DavoT

4141 would have been issued to the 3rd Battalion between Nov 15th 1912 (4126) and Jan 21st 1913 (4155).

Paul

These pages are for the 2nd Battalion for Oct/Nov 1914.

From Vol II The Connaught Rangers by Jourdain and Fraser

Regards Mark

post-14045-1217598664.jpg

post-14045-1217598781.jpg

Paul,

many thanks for the number allocation for the 3rd Battalion. So would he then be deemed an "Old Contemptible"?

Mark,

many thanks for the 2nd Battalion information. It all adds to the story of the man behind the medals and gives one a sense for what they endured during those times.

Cheers,

David

would he then be deemed an "Old Contemptible"?

Yes. I think it would

This from the 3rd Battalion Diary for 1913.

Regards Mark

The 3rd Battalion assembled for training at Oranmore on 30th June 1913. Lieut Colonel & Hon Colonel W R Inglis Commanding.

The Battalion paraded at 10 am on the 24th July for Inspection by Colonel Scrase Dickens Commanding No,12 District.

post-14045-1217681626.jpg

Guys,

this is all fantastic stuff and really builds a bigger picture for the research. I can't thank you all enough, it is all very muchly appreciated. At the end of the day, we are doing it for them - keeping their memory alive. After all, they deserve it.

Regards,

David