Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tartan chevrons?

RobL

I hate to over simplify things here, but couldn't it be just a case of getting kit from where ever it could be had, regardless of current King's Regs? I mean just think about the huge task of providing kit for hundreds of thousands of men, and then replacing it on a regular basis as it gets worn out out at the front. It wouldn't do to have Cpls and Sgts wandering around with no stripes would it?

Sorry, KR had nothing to do with it. The Royal Army Clothing Department were, in consultation with senior management, the authority regarding patterns and contracts.

They did indeed micro-manage.

For example, the economy cap badges are well documented, as are Shoulder titles.

Getting away from theory:

no they were not tartan

yes they occur in many arms of service

yes there are several versions of non-standard chevrons

perhaps they were private purchase [although I cannot agree they were low vis.]

and just perhaps they were pre-war 1910.

Excellent photograph - thanks for poting it. First time I have ever seen WW1 O/R's shoulder strap rank insignia.

Another superb picture and thanks for posting it. What pattern coat is he wearing?

Tom,

I know where you are your coming from.

"Full Screws and half screws" were horrible ranks until you joined them.

I recall buying a set of stripes from the unofficial clothing shop,on Camp,in Gibraltar.

George

Wow, a great photo. He is wearing the Royal Flying Corps maternity coat, but RAMC titles and cap badge are clearly seen. RAMC attached to the RFC ????

a modern image of the pattern shown in the photo above:

stripes.JPG

Good luck with your quest but nobody has yet found anything definitive despite numerous attempts.

I was not trying to be clever Squirrel and I am not on a 'quest', I just hope that some good detective work (and a lot of luck) will eventually turn up the answer.

All these succeeding posts have been excellent and (to my mind) make finding a definitive answer (as far as is practicable) all the more intriguing and compelling.

I have no problem with the concept of a subdued/low-visibility stripe, and in fact, when on duties such as a Battalion Scout or sniping (and all the additonal hazards that that may incur) it seems pretty sensible to me. See picture of Sgt Tom Wilkie, a Battalion Scout with the 1st Bn The Black Watch, post 72:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...62996&st=50

Aye

Tom McC

The RACD records are fairly complete, if not difficult to read and somewhat haphazard in detail. The SD chevrons actually have an example piece of pattern tape still in the records which records the common stripes with dimensions depending on whther for jacket or coat.

However, there is one glarring exception in the RACD records. There is a missing ledger from ~late 1914 through ~1916. There were several parrellel ledgers kept for different items and the obsolescence information found in the post war ledgers allows the ability to somewhat reconstruct whats missing except this is by reference and title and no description.

If this type of chevron was ever pattern sealed and the RACD pattern sealed lots of alternately acceptable patterns it seems these stripes fall into that blackhole. If so we may never know unless someone is lucky enough to find an example with a sealed pattern tag.

To me no significance other than a simple variation to the officially accepted types.

Joe Sweeney

"As an aside, should not/do not a few of the Chums sport these chevrons, as we know the chevrons were worn!?"

They certainly do Grump...

post-1565-1217634780.gif

Brilliant thread .... just the sort of thing that makes this Forum pre-eminent. A feast of nolledge and pictures.

Joe is of course correct: there is a black hole early in the war.

Folks,

I'm still at a loss to understand.

With the "turnover" of NCOs during the War did official supplies of stripes keep up,or is it more likely?.

"You're now a Lance/Jack,if you want the Stripe, go and buy one and find someone to sew them on".

George

Well we all know the story, Your told to report the RSM and not given a reason, :unsure: so you fear the worse and then find out in the queue out side the CO's Office that you are about to be promoted in the field or back at base, and as soon as you have been promoted, i.e. Marched into the OC's office/tent by the RSM or CSM awarded your new rank if lucky given a stripe or two if not immediately after being marched out again by the RSM you are informed in no uncertain terms that you are improperly dressed and that you have a certain time limit to report back for inspection to the RSM properly dressed once again, failure to comply would mean another visit to have the rank removed. Of course all done in the best possible taste to celebrate your promotion, after which you are obliged to buy the drinks in the relevent Mess.

So you'd bL**dy well get what ever stripes you could in double quick time, just to please the RSM and not be on a charge.... :rolleyes: (either way you can't win). Your rank is confirmed the next day by the RSM's, next site of you... screaming your name with the LCPL or CPL caveat infront telling you to get a grip of the rabble of men you happened upon. So you double quick march them (and yourself) around the corner and out of site in the knowledge that you have just jumped a rung on the ladder and lived to tell a tale another day.

Mark.

Hello Manxy,

Nice photo. Clear view of the Pattern 14 Brace adapters being worn too.

TM

What ho TM,

Sergeant in the RAMC - heaven knows what his young eyes must have witnessed. Sadly just another nameless hero – photo taken in Southport, so perhaps a Merseyside lad on leave.

I guess pattern 14 brace adapters would be spot on for RAMC ?

Manxy