Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tom's Dog

J Banning

I have a question regarding a location mentioned in Julian Tyndale-Biscoe’s book, ‘Gunner Subaltern 1914 – 1918’. I garnered all material relating to his time spent at Arras in 1916 for a book I am working on and gave the book back to a friend. Now, reading through his material again I see that he makes reference to a location known as ‘Tom’s Dog’. Examples below:

‘We fight in peace here and live in a most wonderful chateau with porcelain bath and hot and cold water laid on. How quiet compared with Tom's Dog. Hardly a shot fired. We will be having to get mess dress soon!.....’

And a bit later on says:

‘It is nearly three months now since we left Tom’s Dog.’

Has anyone any idea where Tom’s Dog is? It is not a trench name that Peter Chasseaud knows (we have checked already). Perhaps it is his name for somewhere back in the UK? Does anyone have any ideas at all? It will save me getting the book back from the friend to check this.

Many thanks

Jeremy

Tom's Dog was the nickname for Ypres. Chapter 5 'Zillebeke' has the following sentence:- After a couple of hours, we marched in silence passing what looked liked Tom's Dog ( nickname for Ypres).

Hope that helps

Garth

Jeremy

A bit more research unearthed the following passage:- I managed to be billeted with Aunt Ethel and family, in her house ..... Dorothy, Tom and Mollie are at home at present, and Tom has a little terrier called Ypres.

Garth

Garth,

I was just about to reply and thank you for your first post when I saw this one. It answers the question I was going to post - namely, why was Ypres known as Tom's Dog? I was perplexed that I had not heard the nickname before. Now I can see that it is specific to Tyndale-Biscoe and his family members.

Thanks ever so much for your help.

Jeremy