Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is S. Locklin

Guest WW1 Robert

Guest WW1 Robert

I have 3 medals all presented to 1979 S. Locklin of the Notts and Derby reg.

These medals came from my grandfather and then to my father. Upon my parents death I came into position of these medals and wonder why these are in my family as our surname is Morgan.

Is there some way of tracing the relatives of Cpl. S. Locklin?

I would be obliged for any help

Guest Ian Bowbrick

A search for the medal index card at the PRO will give his full name - if it is of the few which just gives his initials, then check out the medal roll. If you are feeling lucky a search for his service record in WO 363/364 and PIN 26 if he was pensioned. If his record has not survived, use his full name and search the 1901 Census on-line. From this you will get his age. Then you can order his birth certificate using 1837.com. This should get you started

Ian ;)

Using the spelling S. Locklin, there are just two results

Samuel Locklin aged 17 in 1901 born in Wolverhampton and living in Newport Shropshire

and Stanley Locklin aged 8 in 1901, born in Rotherham and living in Chesterfield

Of course that is only this spelling there are a lot of variants possible on a name like Locklin, but both of those are options.

Hi Robert,

There is a Lance Serjeant Stanley Locklin of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regt.) age 26 Years listed on the CWGC site. He died on the 10th Dec. 1918.

He was the son of William Lester Locklin and Annie Locklin of 25, Elton St. Hadfield Town, Chesterfield. However his service No. is given as 240355. May be worth checking.

Good Luck

darkisland

Guest WW1 Robert

This is quite strange Ludovica as my grandfather used to live in Rotherham. Also as a child I remember we did vist some distant relatives in Chesterfield.

This may be a big clue as to whom these medals really belong to.

Thanks very much

Robert