Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing from the Le Touret Memorial? - Liverpool Regt

Promenade

No 3024 Benjamin Herbert Greaves 1/8 KLR (kia 16/6/15) is one of a number of men of the King's Liverpool Regt who are not known to be commemorated by the CWGC. Can any one find him on CWGC? - he escapes all my search variations and I can only conclude that he has been missed.

If he were to be accepted as an uncommemorated casualty it would be fitting if he could be listed on the Le Touret Memorial along with 32 of his comrades who also fell on 16/6/15 and who also have no known grave.

Benjamin is not listed in Soldiers Died; he is listed as deceased on 1915 Star Roll; he is listed as deceased on his MIC; listed as killed in action 16/6/16 on his papers and in De Ruvigny; he appears in the GRO Index as 'Greaves Benjamin Private 3024 L'pool 1915 Vol I.21 Page 155'.

Joe

I can't find him in CWGC either so I'll ask a moderator to move the thread to the "possible non-commemorated" sub-forum, if that's OK.

If I've read the write-up correctly, you have a copy of his service file which confirms death in service. Yes? If so, can you please forward the relevent pages to me (you've got my email address). Assuming the documentation is clear cut, I think it should be sufficient evidence in itself for submission to CWGC/MoD. If not, we'll put him on the list of cases where we need to get the death certificate (these are having to wait until negotiiations over funding are sorted with MoD).

John

Can I just ask if there were a number of soldiers missed off CWGC ? ... as I noticed the King's Liverpool Regiment / Liverpool Regiment ....

are not included in list of regiments in Geoff's engine either !

Annie

• 2 years later...