Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What rank was he?

jjonick

Hello all

I am trying to get hold of the war diary to find out the details regarding Lt Col Bernard Barton of the Worcestershire Rgt KIA 11/8/1918 but I seem to have stumbled upon a problem.

CWGC shows Bernard as 1st Btn attached 2/8th Btn and as a Lt Col. Looked for the war diary and can't find it using the Nat Archives catalogue search (all but the date I want unfortunately).

Officers Died database shows Bernard as 1/2 Btn and as a T/Maj (this is when I began to get confused!!).

MIC - can't find the MIC strangely (maybe I can't see for looking!!) but got his MID card which shows him as T/Capt in July 1917 and just states Worcs Rgt.

The Worcestershire Regiment's web site roll of honour shows him as A/Lt Col of the 2/8th Btn.

I am wanting to know about the details of the action/circumstances in which he died and also about him being MID but he seems to have so many ranks and regiments within a short period of time, I'm not sure which diaries etc to go for or indeed which of the above is correct. Was he a T/Maj when he died or a Lt/Col?

So, if anyone can help me shed any light on this, I'd be very grateful

Best wishes

Nicky

There is a Gazette entry for an attachment to (seemingly) a Regular battalion of the Worcesters:

LG 24-10-1917

War Office,

24th October, 1917..

REGULAR FORCES.

INFANTRY.

Worc. R.

Temp. Maj. B. Barton, from a Serv. Bn., to be temp. Maj. (attd.). 20 Aug. 1917, with seniority 9 Feb. 1917.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...t=&similar=

In the London Gazette of 24-8-1918:

Worcester Regt.

Temp. Maj. B. Barton, Worc. Regt., to be actg. Lt.-Col. whilst comdg. Bn. 5th July 1918.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...t=&similar=

Bearing in mind that the announcement and the actual appointment date were either side of his death, that has probably led to the discrepancy in the various records.

War Diary references:

WO 95/3060 2/8 Battalion Worcestershire Regiment 1915 Sept. - 1918 Jan

WO 95/3057 2/8 Battalion Worcestershire Regiment 1918 Feb. - 1919 Apr.

Steve.

Thanks Steve - that does make sense. Thank you so much for the war diary ref for 2/8 Battalion Worcestershire Regiment 1918 Feb. - 1919 Apr. It didn't matter what I put into the search field, I couldn't find it!! I could only find up to Jan 1918. The heat must be getting to me.

Thanks again

Nicky

According to Stacke, he was the second captain in D Coy 11/Worcs when it went to Frane as part of 26 Div in late September 1915; in November the battalion moved to Salonika (11/11/15) from Marseilles; on 20/6/18 he became CO of 2/8th Worcesters, near St Venant; and was killed by a bomb on 11/8/18 on the outskirts of Merville, the day after they got there. Obviously he got shipped back to the WF at some stage (MID in July 17). as the battalion stayed in the Salonika theatre until war's end.

The date of him taking up his post as Colonel fits exactly - there was a 15 day qualifying period before the post would be Gazetted. One of the men I have researched was killed 14 days after taking up his post and was never Gazetted as Lt.-Colonel.

Probably his officers file:

WO 339/15489 BARTON B, Lieut Col 1914-1920

Steve.

there was a 15 day qualifying period before the post would be Gazetted

Steve, just for interest where did you pick that up? King's Regs? Elsewhere?

In the papers of a Major who was killed in December 1917. In several letters/memos explaining to his mother that he they couldn't make an exception to the rule, in order to Gazette him as Lt. Col.

Steve.

A few more Gazette entries:

LG 17-3-1915

The Worcestershire Regiment,

11th Battalion—

Bernard Barton to be temporary Lieutenant.

Dated 28th December, 1914.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...ernard%20Barton

LG 16-8-1915

The Worcestershire Regiment,

11th Battalion.

The undermentioned temporary Lieutenants to be temporary Captains:

Bernard Barton. Dated 10th July, 1915.

Dated 11th July, 1915.

John G. Reid.

Philip A. Leicester.

The undermentioned temporary Second Lieutenants to be temporary Lieutenants:

William Jones. Dated 10th July, 1915.

Dated 11th July, 1915.

Hamilton S. Walford.

Albert J. B. Hudson.

Frank L. H. Fox.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...ernard%20Barton

LG 26-4-1917

Worc. R.

Temp. Capt. B. Barton to be temp. Maj. 9 Feb. 1917.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...act=B.%20Barton

Steve.