Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Roll - reference numbers

Mary H Price

Do the numbers shown after each man's entry in the National Rolls indicate the order of visitation? Do the original records exist?

Thanks for all help.

Mary

Hi Mary - there is a copy of a 2006 Naval and Military Press reprint of The National Roll of the Great War 1914-1918 (if this is what you are referring to) - that can be searched on Find My Past - (pay per view or subscription like Ancestry) here is what they say about the reference numbers:

# Finally, each entry has a reference number (such as Z2323A in the case of WG Cudd mentioned above). The significance of this reference is no longer clear but presumably referred to a card-index or other filing system used by the publishers to track contributions to the book and published entries.

Not sure if you are aware but despite its name there were many parts of the country this publication didn't cover - though FMP says there are more than 100,000 entries in total. Information was apparently provided by the people featured themselves - or members of their families so I wouldn't have thought anyone was visited to provide the entries and it is a bit of a lottery if you find someone you are looking for in there.

It will be interesting though if anyone does have any more information

BTW - welcome to the forum too

Cheers

Sue

Thanks Sue. From the explanation you found it appears that the reference numbers were created, and therefore owned by, the publisher.

Two of mine are published in the National Rolls:

National Roll of the Great War, Salford, p. 142.

"HARTLEY, J. P., Pte., Loyal N. Lancashire Regt.

He volunteered in 1915, and later in that year, after completing his course of training, was drafted to the Western Front, where he saw service at Vimy Ridge, the Somme, Artas and Ypres, and was gassed at Cambrai. After his recovery he returned to the Line and served in many operations in the Retreat and Advance of 1918. He was afterwards invalided home owing to shell-shock, and in September 1919 was discharged as medically unfit for further service. He holds the 1914-15 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals. 2 Wellington Street, Pendleton. Z2104"

National Roll of the Great War, Manchester, page 166:

"HARTLEY, J., Air Mechanic, R. A. F.

He joined in January, 1918 and after his training served at various stations on important duties with his Squadron. His duties, which demanded a high degree of technical skill, were carried out with great efficiency and he rendered valuable services, but was not successful in obtaining his transfer overseas before the cessation of hostilities. He was demobilized in February, 1920. 8, Victoria Square, Oldham Road, Manchester. TZ9171"

I was hoping the reference numbers might provide a clarification on J. P. Hartley's service that would help the Preston museum further in their search for more info. about him.

I think my next step is to seek help with the medal card.

Thanks again.

Mary Hartley Price

• 2 months later...

Mary,

I had a look at the National Archive (TNA) medal card index (MIC's) and cant find a J P Hartley, there are several Johns and Josephs listed - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Spec=score+desc - but the only J Hartley is a Serjeant.

Hth

Grant