Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Col Cusack Grant Forsyth DSO.

Bob Coulson

LCol Cusak Grant Forsyth, (DSO LG 14 Jan 16). Born 4 May 87; 2nd Lt, Yorks R, 29 Aug 06; Lt, 12 May 09; Adjutant, Yorks R, 12 Apr 12 to 31 Jul 15; Capt. 30 Oc 14; T/Major from 21 Jul 15; T/Lt Col, Yorks R., attached 6th Bn. Killed in action 14 Sep 16 ("Times" 23 Sep 16).

"His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned Honours and Rewards for distinguished service in the field with effect from 1 Jan 1916 inclusive. To be Companion of the Distinguished Service Order."

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Many thanks for looking this up for me however it has left me slightly puzzled, perhaps you can help?

My understanding was that he recieved the DSO for actions at 1st Ypres where he was wounded and didn't return to the battalion till 1915 after Neuve Chapelle.

Would this tie in, would it take as long as this for the DSO to be confirmed?

Grateful for any pointers.

Bob.

That seems like a long time; the normal period was usually about 3-6 months, but that was for an immediate DSO and those usually had citations. The non-immediate awards, which this one appears to be, were usually given out for a period of service and it probably was not unusual for the period of time between the period of services and the awards to be longer. Regards. Dick Flory