Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Verdun

Somme1916

Pals,

As today is the anniversary of the start of the Battle of Verdun I thought I'd post some pictures of a tour I took of Verdun while at I was at SHAPE.

Remembering those that struggled there,

Jon

This one is of me at Ft Douaumont

post-4-1077423147.jpg

Danger lurks in the woods, french trench mortar round!

Nice photos.

This looks like the French aerial torpedo - a finned mortar projectile fired from the 58mm trench mortar.

The tunnels at Butte de Vauqois were the highlight of the trip for me. The guide said she gives tours year ruond to groups of all sizes. She also told us that in the summer, if the water table is low enough, she even takes small parties down into the German mine tunnels. I can not recall her name but if anyone is interested I will contact SHAPE trips and tours and find out who she was. I plan to go back one day and take her mine tunnel tour.

The surface is quite interesting as well. The grass is kept short and it's easy to see the massive damage caused by so many mines. For some reasons there were lots of Label cartridges the times I was there.

I had not realized until recently the AEF took this place in the Meuse-Argonne offfensive, division slips my mind, the one on the far left.

The guide doing the mine tunnels tour at Vauquois was probably Ingrid Ferrand. I have her details if anyone is interested. She's a wonderful guide to the area.

Paul, it was 35th Div. that took Vauquois on 25 Sept. 1918.

Christina

Paul, it was 35th Div. that took Vauquois on 25 Sept. 1918.

Christina

Thanks Christina, Captain Harry S Truman was in that division.